Not sure what to with this flue. Pictures included.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arithian

Sep 24, 2008
NE PA
I purchased a house last winter with a preexisting flue. I’ve just had it cleaned and inspected, and apparently all is good. I’m looking at getting a pellet stove this weekend, either the Summer’s Heat 55-SHP22L or the Summer’s Heat 49-SHCPM, the new mult-fuel model. I know they have different pipe rating requirements. Englander told me I can just use a chimney adapter and use the existing flue instead of lining the whole thing, but I’m not sure how to proceed. There are 3 rings of pipe and ring is made up of two layers of metal with no space between them, 14”, 12”, and 8”, the 8” shows signs of use. I can’t find any markings to indicate its model or manufacturer. I don’t know where to go from here or how to connect the pellet stove pipe, just to the 8” and use a cover or ring around it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I’ve included pictures to try and clear things up a bit, thanks.

*Note: The bright white in the picture is the cement wall inside my house that the flue is behind.

Attachments

• 100_2690 (WinCE).JPG
    100_2690 (WinCE).JPG
    7.5 KB · Views: 587
  • 100_2691 (WinCE).JPG
    100_2691 (WinCE).JPG
    7.2 KB · Views: 579
  • 100_2692 (WinCE).JPG
    100_2692 (WinCE).JPG
    8.9 KB · Views: 591
Hopefully someone else has seen this type of pipe as I have not. I would assume that the 8" inner pipe is what you would need to be concerned with. The outer rings should just be heat shields.

I just wanted to mention that the Simpson Duravent brand of pipe does carry a 3" to 8" or a 4" to 8" chimney adaptor. You would have to check the diameters and specs to make sure that it would fit.

Once you have a solution to adapt to your 8" pipe, you will want to make sure that the connection is sealed very well so that you maintain a good natural draft and avoid smoke re-entering the house.

I'd been looking at the dura vent, but was worried since I didn't know what brand my current pipe is. Would I still be able to connect the dura vent piping with a DVL close clearance adapter and 8" to 3" chimney adapter as long as I sealed it well?

I would say there are three things in play: The connection would need to be secure, safe, and sealed. As long as you are comfortable with your connection meeting those 3 things to your satisfaction, you should be good. I would definitely keep abreast of what others can add to this post. There are plenty of folks with good ideas on here.

Thank you for your advice. Has anyone seen a piping system like this? I'm hoping to get the stove this weekend, just want to make sure I don't buy the wrong pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.