Not sure what type of wood this is

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SIERRADMAX

Feeling the Heat
Jan 13, 2011
RI
I've just started splitting a mixed load of wood dropped off from Hurricane Irene (mainly red oak, birch and some maple). I've come across some pieces that are bright red in the center. These pieces are very difficult to split at first or second swing but once started, they split very clean.

Tree came from Northern RI. Here's a picture.

2011-10-22164151.gif

Any suggestions?

Could be elder

Any time you see a blood red stain like that in the middle, the initial thought should be boxelder:

boxelder_fresh1.jpg

Looks lik box elder, mediocre is the kindest word I can say about that stuff, not my favorite tree

SIERRADMAX

I was unsure of the species. Thanks to you guys for telling us what it was.I have burned it before. When it was free. And will do it again, when it is free. Burned fine. I split it into smaller splits so it would dry good. I tried to knock it down to 4-6 inch splits then let it dry for a year. Stacked outside for at least six months from spring till fall, then I moved it in under the covered porch first in fall. This stuff went in first to be burned last in the spring.

It was given for free. I'm not going to complain. There are a couple large diameter pieces I might make something out of.

Anyway of preserving the red color after splitting or cutting?

Good for shoulder season when you just want one fire to take the chill out. I would'nt go out of my way to get any but if its free Id grab it.

People like to poke fun at box elder and it is not up to par with something like oak, but it is in the maple family and not all that bad of wood. Just don't try to burn it for overnight fires and you'll be fine.

Backwoods Savage said:
People like to poke fun at box elder and it is not up to par with something like oak, but it is in the maple family and not all that bad of wood. Just don't try to burn it for overnight fires and you'll be fine.

I'd have to agree.. picked up a free face cord of it last spring and have been using it for the cool fall nights. Split, stack, and keep it dry. It tends to rot quicker than other species if not dealt with soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.