Not to shabby (score)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
Paid $60 for this Ash score. The pictured stack is approximately 20 ft. in length by 3 ft. high. There's another stack (not pictured) about half the size also included in the price.

Attachments

• SSPX1271.jpg
    SSPX1271.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 467
Rcrozier said:
Paid $60 for this Ash score. The pictured stack is approximately 20 ft. in length by 3 ft. high. There's another stack (not pictured) about half the size also included in the price.

So...about 3/4 cord. Not to shabby at all for three Andrew J's! Good score! Now get to splittin'!!!! ;)

Ed

No, not to shabby at all.

Intheswamp said:
Rcrozier said:

So...about 3/4 cord. Not to shabby at all for three Andrew J's! Good score! Now get to splittin'!!!! ;)

Ed

I could be wrong but i think it's more than that.

If the stack viewed is 20 ft X 3 ft X (I'm guessing 18") and he has another stack that is 10 ft X 3 ft X 18" This totals out at just over a cord. And it's not split. I think once it's split it will stack a bit larger than this.

Anyone else agree with my half ass math?

Either way it seems to be a good score. Is this for this winter?

Good score, split it quick and you can burn it this winter.

DaFattKidd said:

Yep that's some good figgerin if the assumptions are right.

Thanks guys. DaFattKidd, you're right. I'm not sure if Intheswamp considered the other stack and or the depth of the stacks being more than a foot. Right now I have about a cord and a half of Ash and Silver Maple, split and stacked about 9 months ago. This will be my first season burning so I'm not sure how much wood I will use. I'd like to get this stuff split this weekend and hopefully stacked by next in case I need to use it. Ideally, I'd like it for the 2012-2013 season.

DaFattKidd said:
Intheswamp said:
Rcrozier said:

Ed

I could be wrong but i think it's more than that.

If the stack viewed is 20 ft X 3 ft X (I'm guessing 18") and he has another stack that is 10 ft X 3 ft X 18" This totals out at just over a cord. And it's not split. I think once it's split it will stack a bit larger than this.

Either way it seems to be a good score. Is this for this winter?

Def over a cord... Ash is good burning wood. Get it C/S/S now and you will be burning it this year.

More pics of the score. Loading the little S-10, the pile is 2 S-10 loads in my backyard and the remaining stack that I have to go back for. Sure sucks making 3 trips, let alone borrowing a truck.

Attachments

• SSPX1276.jpg
    SSPX1276.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 251
  • SSPX1281.jpg
    SSPX1281.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 286
  • SSPX1279.jpg
    SSPX1279.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 245
Rcrozier,
Whomever you borrowed that truck from is a smart man, or woman. GO EAGLES!

That is some great firewood. Get it split (splits easy and fun with a splitting maul if you can handle it) ASAP and you can burn it next winter. You have only 1 1/2 cord now so you no doubt will need this wood this coming winter. Most folks find they need from 4-6 cord per winter.

Yes it is Rcrozier. We've burned 24/7 for so many years I quit counting. We used to burn 6-7 cords but after getting the new stove we cut that in half. Reading on this forum, I find that the 4-6 cord will cover most folks.

Crap, well then I'm WAY BEHIND! Oh well, guess that's part to being a newbie. Anyhow, here are some more pics of the score. The first pic is the beginning of the 3rd and final load and the second pic is total score in my backyard.

Attachments

• SSPX1282.jpg
    SSPX1282.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 156
  • SSPX1285.jpg
    SSPX1285.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 147
Looks good to me. It is sort of like hoeing. Do a little every chance you get and those little bits add up to a lot over time. Or stick a dollar into a savings account and it is not much. Do it weekly and you'll never miss it but over time you'll have several dollars. Of course in today's world, it might have to be a bit more than a dollar to add up to much.

Status
Not open for further replies.