nothing but problems with a hearthstone heritage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
here is a picture of the space I'm talking about, I circled it . Is this suppose to be an open airway?

Attachments

• woodstove 009.jpg
    woodstove 009.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 690
new burner said:
I do have one more question for everyone though.
The air wash system for the glass, my best guess would be that is the space in the front of the door, is that suppose to be be an open airway, or is it suppose to be sealed? On mine when I put my hand ontop of it, It is caulked, sealed shut. Is that how yours is?

Pictures... always best for these things. I know it is hard to actually get in there and get the shot, but if you take a few you will almost certainly get the best answers.

Edit: Ha! You beat me to it by a few seconds! :)

Man this installation is half ass.

I for the record never said that that the stove was not messed up, i stated that the chimney being messed up is what told the OP that he had a problem. This is fortunate actually at this point. If the stove didnt leak smoke everywhere this installation might have gone unnoticed for some amount of time. The insulation and woodchips inside the box could have caused a fire.

Now, here is how i would handle the stove issue:

1) i doubt seriously that the stove was rebuilt at the shop. Most shops dont have time to deal with that and hearthstones are a pain in the butt to rebuild.
2) The stove probably left the factory that way for what ever reason QC missed it. The door handles of that year model had issues that we all know about. Both issues can be solved with some of there cement and a new 2008-2009 door assembly.
3) Did the OP get a deal on the stove? Would the same deal apply if he wanted a 2009 model? If the answer is no, then some cement to close the gaps might be acceptable. If he wants to spend money on the non floor display and get a brand new one, that should be a option too.
4) The excess cement on the castings can be removed by laying a wet rag on the cement, and let it soak for a half hour. It will come off fairly easily after that.

Once again, if the OP wants a 2009 model in a crate , and the dealer wants to charge more for that, then that should be a option.
If the owner wants to keep the stove at the dicounted rate, and fix a few things so save money that should be a option as well
The stove will work fine once the chimney is up to par, even in its current state. The draft may dilute a little with the leakage, but overall it will work well. I personally would fill the gap that is left there and call it a day.

Here is where things are going to get interesting. I wonder what the OP is going to say when the dealer wants to charge him for another $400 worth of pipe that he should have sold you in the first place.

Murph
I looked on the web site also, for the chimney install derections. It is suppose to be framed out, and either nailed or screwed into the frameing. Not just sitting on drywall. Drywall is not a support. Its suppose to be a support.

tutu_sue said:
Okay I scanned the certificate and the Hearthstone Quality Assurance Inspection Checklist. There was also the owner's manual and warranty registration but I didn't scan those. My stove was made in early 2006.

This stuff dissapears off of floor models all the time :(. especially if its been around a while.

new burner said:
here is a picture of the space I'm talking about, I circled it . Is this suppose to be an open airway?

That space is for the air wash. Air runs from the primary air contol lever beneath the stove, up the side castings on either side of the front door, and then pours out through that space. Primary air also squirts out through the little hole in the doghouse. I don't see any cement. The key thing is that the air feeding that space comes from the sides.

The air wash on my stove works great.

You know... thought just occurred to me. Perhaps OP should take a trip to a stove shop that has one of these stoves on display and get a really close look at it. May answer a lot of questions as to what should be where and how it should look. Certainly major deviations should become clearer rather quickly (I'd take my camera with me to take pictures of the reference model since my memory is rather poor).

Ya got at least 13 feet of pipe there? That is minimum for that stove. I have almost 14 and getting a bit of smoke when I open the door, so I just ordered another two feet.

tutu_sue said:
Ya got at least 13 feet of pipe there? That is minimum for that stove. I have almost 14 and getting a bit of smoke when I open the door, so I just ordered another two feet.

the minimum for the stove is just that, the minimum. The 10-2-3 rule takes precedence of the minimum stated by the manufacture. You have to be 2' higher then anything withing 10', and in this case, no less then 13'.

Oy, what is holding the support box in place in this installation? Here's a picture from the Simpson installation manual. We have the round support box. This is how ours is installed.

Attachments

• Duravent.jpg
    Duravent.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 672
update on my stove,

The dealer has spoken with heathstone again and they have agreed to send out a new stove. The dealer is going to fix the chimney properly also. Right now I think the pipe is 14ft total. He has agreed to frame out the attic install and put in an insulation shield.
It has taken a bit of time to get something done but I am glad this ordeal will come to an end soon.
I just hope the new stove will not arive damaged. I will check it with a fine toothed comb, before it ever gets in the house.
I'll post some pictures when everthing is done.

Great, sounds like good progress.

Note, if they are going to frame it out, be sure they use long deck screws instead of nails for the framing. Maybe have some 3.5" screws on hand. Your ceiling sheetrock will thank you.

PS: Don't forget the roof bracing for the flue.

new burner said:
update on my stove,

The dealer has spoken with heathstone again and they have agreed to send out a new stove. The dealer is going to fix the chimney properly also. Right now I think the pipe is 14ft total. He has agreed to frame out the attic install and put in an insulation shield.
It has taken a bit of time to get something done but I am glad this ordeal will come to an end soon.
I just hope the new stove will not arive damaged. I will check it with a fine toothed comb, before it ever gets in the house.
I'll post some pictures when everthing is done.

Oh, that's really good to hear!

Just a thought-- you might want to make sure any even verbal agreement you make with the dealer is contingent on the chimney install passing muster with the local inspector. If there isn't such a thing where you are, make it either the fire dept. or somebody from your home insurance co. Personally, I just wouldn't trust the people who screwed up that chimney to begin with to fix it right and I'd want some expert back-up before approving the fix.

Any update on this Newburner?

I'll get some pictures up in a day or two. The new stove was delivered today, and installed. The stove is so much different, than the other one. It looks very nice.
I made a small fire this evening, and everthing seems to be ok with the stove. I am very happy to have a good stove.

But I still have an install problem. A big one. I didnt know that I was suppose to follow the installers into the attic to make sure they did their job.
The opening in the attic is still not framed out right. Insullation was left all inside the insulation shield. And the ring in the attic was screwed to the somewhat framing with one screw. I frameding it out properly, and secured it.
The bigger problem is the roof. It was leaking. It hasnt leaked into the attic, just the wood on the roof. It is spongey and holding water. Its 5/8 press board and swelling. It needs to be replaced.
I told the dealer about the roof, and the install. I will be calling a roofer tomarrow to fix the roof. There is no way I will let anyone from that store try and fix my roof, when they cant even frame the attic out right, or put flashing under shingles. The dealer will get a bill for the repairs and a roof brace that they had no intention of even installing.

Im glad the stove is ok. And it is a very nice stove.
I think that I just picked a bad dealer. I'm going to call the dealer again tomarrow and tell him that I'm calling a roofer to do the repairs. I do not want to deal with this dealer anymore. They seem to know very little about stoves or how to install them.

new burner said:
I'll get some pictures up in a day or two. The new stove was delivered today, and installed. The stove is so much different, than the other one. It looks very nice.
I made a small fire this evening, and everthing seems to be ok with the stove. I am very happy to have a good stove.

But I still have an install problem. A big one. I didnt know that I was suppose to follow the installers into the attic to make sure they did their job.
The opening in the attic is still not framed out right. Insullation was left all inside the insulation shield. And the ring in the attic was screwed to the somewhat framing with one screw. I frameding it out properly, and secured it.
The bigger problem is the roof. It was leaking. It hasnt leaked into the attic, just the wood on the roof. It is spongey and holding water. Its 5/8 press board and swelling. It needs to be replaced.
I told the dealer about the roof, and the install. I will be calling a roofer tomarrow to fix the roof. There is no way I will let anyone from that store try and fix my roof, when they cant even frame the attic out right, or put flashing under shingles. The dealer will get a bill for the repairs and a roof brace that they had no intention of even installing.

Im glad the stove is ok. And it is a very nice stove.
I think that I just picked a bad dealer. I'm going to call the dealer again tomarrow and tell him that I'm calling a roofer to do the repairs. I do not want to deal with this dealer anymore. They seem to know very little about stoves or how to install them.

Oh, man. You really got screwed by a bunch of incompetents right down the line. After you've gotten everything you think you can get from the dealer, call the Better Business Bureau and the state attorney general's office for consumer isssues and file complaints.

Just think, you had the resources and knowledge to suspect something wasn't right, come here and find out you were right. What about the poor bastard down the road who doesn't? He/she could lose the house to a fire. Gah!

One more thing I wanted to say about the install, The black pipe that attaches to the stove had gotten scratched a little when taking the old stove out, and putting the new one in. It had gotten scratched on the upper pipe, the adjustable section.
Well one of the installers decided he was going to fix it up a bit. He got a can of spray paint out of his bag, and started shaking it up.
I dont know what he was thinking. I stopped him before he started spraying away.
I would have had paint on the walls, and falling on the stove. The scratches dont bother me. The paint everywhere would bother me.
I guess you really do need to follow these guys around, I just didnt get that memo.

I found the whole spray paint thing kinda funny, so I thought a little humor would be good. What was this guy thinking?
I'm glad I stopped him though. If I had'nt, it would not be so funny.

I'll get some pictures up tomorrow.

What a bummer. Put it in writing and follow up with the phone call. Document everything. Get a statement from the roof repair guy and take many pictures. The last thing you want is their word against yours. Let the bulk of the evidence speak for itself.

Also, post some current shots, inside and outside of the entire installation. Best to have a looksee here at the so called fixes.

Glad you got a new stove. I have back drafted my Mansfield several times and the only place I got smoke out of was from the air-intake. Never between stones.

You will be far more educated on this and future purchases after what you have gone through and that applies to all things in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.