Nothing caps the night off like bringing a half burning log through the house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess Im not the only one with a measuring tape next to the wood box inside the house.

Not that I ever had to toss one in the shower....or put it back in stove a 5 the next morning when I wanted to go in the shower.

Or had my wife stop me from putting one in the shower when we had no power (well water not city water) and made a quick run for the door....

Seen the broken glass thing twice, never done it personally. It don't fit? It don't fit. That's when a nice pair of heart gloves and a close door come in handy...

Had one the was 1/4 inch too fat to fit once... stupid nub sticking up and couldn't turn it to fit it... blazing birch bark and the works... stood up and went to open the front door with the thing hanging from the front of the insert. Came back and swearing like a pirate, carried it out and threw it over the shrubs into about six feet of snow. Neighbor had to be standing outside on the sidewalk when I did it too.. older french guy... "She don' fit ze stove eh? Haaaa hAhhha haahha."

"Yeah, like it never happened to you, eh? ;)

"Oh eyah... all the time."

CZARCAR said:
drdoct said:
How embarrassing. I had the stove good and hot but was ready for bed. Looks like a lot of room in the box so I grab a big size split for a good all night burn. Open it up and make sure there is enough room. Stick it in and it stops with 4" hanging out the door. So I rock it back and forth with no progress. By now it's already burning. I move it back a little and take the poker and start breaking up everything that's under it to try and get more room. I can't see the back at all. Try again and still no movement. So I get the wife and tell her to grab the door so I can make a run. I got the split out and doused it with water. Come in and the house is smokey. Wife looks at me like I'm an idiot. I look at me like I'm an idiot. So I look and way in the back is a 1/4 burned split right there blocking the way. I couldn't see it because it was right behind the big split. <sigh>. It hard to see the back of the firebox when it's going good. Put in 4 regular splits and go to bed smelling like smoke. I'm sure it won't be the only time this happens, but hopefully they are few and far between. No questions I wanted to ask... just wanted to let the rest of the board know that I was an idiot last night.
real idiot would have broken the glass, try again!

Nothing beats the image of my father, a pipefitter (read large, arms like Popeye and shoulders like Bluto) carrying a smoking, red hot dryer out of the laundry room wearing a pair of heart gloves... mom's screaming the fire department's on the way... right out the front door and off the deck... "They find that #*#&@() SOB out there when they get here!"

Could have burned the entire house down... no problem, pick it up and throw it out the door. :)

As young and older teens we used to have "Maine House" parties in Parker Head Maine on select weekends after the old house was closed up for the season.
One night we were having a big old Maine winter bash with to many people dancing in the living room and wouldn't you know it someone danced or most like fell into the old Glenwood! The whole stove moved about a 1/2 foot the stove pipe "popped" off and it was one smokey scene I will never forget, The Girls were screaming and us guys half hammered scrambling to reconnect the blazing Glenwood as smoke and flame shot out the back. Never forget those old Maine house parties what a good time we had and we never burnt down the old place to boot.

I keep a 3' metal yard stick by the stove, for just those times when i think it may be close : )

Status
Not open for further replies.