Nothing like scrounging Shagbark

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WOODBUTCHER

Minister of Fire
More free stove chow for next year.......Last week I was throwing good sized cherry rounds over a stone wall buried in thorns and bittersweet, not with this stuff.
Another couple of scrounges and I'll be all set for 2010-2011.

WoodButcher

Attachments

• shagbark_002.jpg
    shagbark_002.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 440
  • shagbark_003.jpg
    shagbark_003.jpg
    145.8 KB · Views: 445
  • shagbark_001.jpg
    shagbark_001.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 427
I don't think that wood in the two right pictures are shagbark. Unless you are saying that the scrounge was much easier than scrounging shagbark!

CTburns said:
I don't think that wood in the two right pictures are shagbark. Unless you are saying that the scrounge was much easier than scrounging shagbark!

It's defiantly Shagbark ...I just felled it today..... it had a medium sized crown that forked at about 12' and those younger branches sure can be smooth like a baby's a--.

WoodButcher

Can't beat that. I've noticed that some of the hickory I've cut also has the dark center spot. And after splitting, usually have a few crazy 'Alflalfas" like your left top pic :lol:

I've never cut any young shagbark, so it almost looked like Ash or something. You're right, there is nothing like free Shagbark!

Archie said:
Can't beat that. I've noticed that some of the hickory I've cut also has the dark center spot. And after splitting, usually have a few crazy 'Alflalfas" like your left top pic :lol:

Yes I had my Hatchet when splitting, GD stringy stuff!

WoodButcher

WOODBUTCHER said:
chargeaccordingLEE said:
Me tinx it B pig !

Don't make me post a lower trunk shot with nuts :lol:

WoodButcher

I posted some Shagbark pics once. The shaggy bark had come off because I had to roll the monster rounds out of the woods to the truck, but you could tell what it was. Somebody insisted it wasn't Shagbark, so I posted pictures with leaves and nuts. He still said he didn't believe it was Shagbark! I think something gets lost in the pictures!

CTburns said:
WOODBUTCHER said:
chargeaccordingLEE said:
Me tinx it B pig !

Don't make me post a lower trunk shot with nuts :lol:

WoodButcher

I posted some Shagbark pics once. The shaggy bark had come off because I had to roll the monster rounds out of the woods to the truck, but you could tell what it was. Somebody insisted it wasn't Shagbark, so I posted pictures with leaves and nuts. He still said he didn't believe it was Shagbark!

I remember the pic of your hand holding leaf and nut right next to the rounds.
I was fooled on a grapple load a few years ago.
Some of the Shagbark and Pignut trunks were hard to ID for that reason.

WoodButcher

Russ in Chicagoland said:
Heads up while working with that shagbark, bats love to nest in that loose bark.

I should plant more then, to keep them off my house! It only bothers me because they roost (and Sh_t) above my front door. Lots of poop to sweep, every week!

Its like white birch trees that are not white when smaller... Smaller shagbark is smooth and developes the rough outer exterior with age...just like a wood burner :lol:

unknowingLEE said:
CowboyAndy said:
i thought shagbark was called that because the bark looks like old shag carpeting?

utf-8BSU1HMDAwNTEuanBn.jpg

Dat not shag either.

This is!

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 297
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 290
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 279
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 286
^ That's shag!

WB pics look like pig to me too. Although, some juvenile shag can also look like pig, the bark doesn't get shaggy until the trees get larger.

Ok, who wants to place bets........I will post trunk pics, nuts and leaves tomorrow after work.
I will bet my entire stash of wood on my property.

WoodButcher

CowboyAndy said:
unknowingLEE said:
CowboyAndy said:
i thought shagbark was called that because the bark looks like old shag carpeting?

Dat not shag either.

so it would be........ ?

looky like elm or hornbeam. Leaning toward elm.

CTburns said:
unknowingLEE said:
CowboyAndy said:

Dat not shag either.

This is!

Heartwood/sapwood looky diffy in pics.MayB ur wood ain't shaggrilific!
Never ben 2 Connect Ticut! MayB shag is dif there!

Cowboyandy,
Post some pics of that stuff split, elm is easy to ID once split. How does it smell ? Elm smells nasty!
That wood sure does look dense.

WoodButcher

WOODBUTCHER said:
Cowboyandy,
Post some pics of that stuff split, elm is easy to ID once split. How does it smell ? Elm smells nasty!
That wood sure does look dense.

WoodButcher

it IS dense... equal sized splits, weighs more than sugar maple. heavy and stringy. doesnt seem to have a nasty smell, slthogh i havent burned any yet. ill take some pics of some splits when i get home tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.