1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Noticed something I never noticed before

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by jrogers999, Dec 6, 2012.

1. jrogers999

jrogers999 Member

Loc:
    Billerica Ma
    I woke up this morning for work and went to load up the stove. I noticed there was glowing ash oon left and right inside walls of my M55. It looked freaky. Never noticed that before. Is that normal? Stove was burning on 3 all night. It was a toasty 83 in my living room.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Eatonpcat

Eatonpcat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Have never seen it on mine and it does not sound normal to me either!
  3. jrogers999

jrogers999 Member

Loc:
    Billerica Ma
    It could've just been fresh fly ash stuck on the old ash. I vacuumed it 2 days ago. So glad I finally finished the New England Pellet crap. The spruces put out some serious heat. The ash is nice and gray and not that black crap.
  4. Eatonpcat

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    I wouldn't worry about the sides, what could it hurt. The Spruce Points sound nice!
  5. jrogers999

jrogers999 Member

Loc:
    Billerica Ma
    I'm definitely a softwood fan for heat. I did LG Granuals last year and loved those too.
    Eatonpcat likes this.
  6. jgrz0610

jgrz0610 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Eastern CT, Andover
    I get fly ash sticking to the sides occasionally and it glows for a few seconds until it burns out. Not a ton of glowing embers...just a few here and there. Hope that helps subside any concern...or maybe it will raise some on my side.

"Did you ever notice notice that the fireplace and chimney are the only thing left in a burnt out building? Kinda narrows down the suspects now doesn't it."
    Wildo likes this.
  7. ChandlerR

ChandlerR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hampton, NH
    My granddaughter saw that a couple of days ago. Said it looked cool. I went and looked and saw a glowing line moving its way up the side of the chamber. It was fly ash. No harm done and after a run on #5, it was all gone anyways. (It did look cool!)
  8. jrogers999

jrogers999 Member

Loc:
    Billerica Ma
    Probably happens all the time. Just never noticed it. It was morning still dark and really dragging a@$ to go to work.
    Wildo likes this.
  9. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

That's more than likely a dirty burn. Its incomplete combustion.

Have Never had any fly ash catch fire? If there is something left to burn? It will.

In all my time burning pellets and reading here. I have Never heard of it?

(Sounds like a common thing for the M-55/ 3 users above)?
  10. Eatonpcat

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Once again...Dexter is calling me uncommon!!
    DexterDay likes this.
  11. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Sorry Buddy :)
  12. Eatonpcat

Loc:
    Eaton Township, Ohio
    Quite alright...it's probably true!
  13. CT Pellet

CT Pellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    Possible explination...
    If your combustion blower is over-blowing (or air damper is set open too much) you could possibly be blowing little "pellet pieces"out of the burn pot before they are totally burned through. I dont mean to suggest that you have a tornado in there whipping pellets around, but as the pellets burn up and get smaller, the residuals may be small enough and the air may be big enough to sent the pieces out. If there is fly ash on the inside walls, the pieces have a place to stick. Just a possibility, not conclusive.
  14. jgrz0610

jgrz0610 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Eastern CT, Andover
    That's pretty much the long and short of it. It happens when new pellets drop into the pot and cause a disturbance. It's not as if it's sitting there burning on the side for 5 minutes. A few seconds at most. Happens to me with me damper set using the mag. and a totally clean stove. If it's avoidable or wrong I'm not sure what else I would really do. It doesn't bother me and it runs great. Depending on the pellet I get the nice fluffy ash like I'm supposed to with little to no clinkers so everything pretty much checks out. Never thought about it until this thread. Oh well. Cleaning day.
  15. CT Pellet

CT Pellet Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Torrington, CT
    It surely isn't going to hurt anything so If it doesn't bother you then leave it as is. As for me?....Hey, I can't see it from my house.:cool:
    jgrz0610 and Eatonpcat like this.
  16. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Standish, ME
    That glowing line (sparkling) going up the side and frequently branching is a very small amount of creosote and other volatiles lighting up.

It will occur more on low burn than higher heat levels and more so after the stove has started to ash up, or when the stove starts up after cycling off when on a t-stat.

After all you are burning wood.
    DexterDay likes this.
  17. flynfrfun

flynfrfun Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Bonney Lake, WA
    I have seen it too. It's mesmerizing to watch.
  18. jtakeman

jtakeman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northwestern CT.
    I have seen it on my fire grate but never on the side walls. Mostly when on low and when it changes to high or goes to shutdown(fans ramp up). Pretty cool to watch it spread.

I notice its black in the area before it happens, Might be a rich burn that causes it?