Nova 2 Bypass/Combuster

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Randomwoods123

Jan 11, 2022
Cincinnati
So we just got this Nova 2, and are wondering if the combuster is working. It doesn't seem to make a difference in how the fire burns whether the bypass is open or closed. We Can get real hot fires, but no matter how full it's packed we are down to almost ash in 6 hrs. So leads me to think maybe the combuster isn't right.

It definitely does not ever look like the first video either.

Here is a link with the videos.

Seeing posts about people getting 12 hrs I don't quite understand.

Closing the bypass should decrease draft with the restriction. You should see a change in the fire.

I suppose the first thing to make sure of is that there’s a cat installed.

Wondering if you did check to see that your catalyst is installed correctly. I purchased our Nova 2 at the end of 2021 and the learning curve has been quite steep! Today I checked the combustor (for the first time) ((I know, I know...)) and found that it was installed probably where it should have been placed but without that retainer peg. over time I had more and more issues with the stove. Theory is its been sliding forward over time slowly closing that spring-loaded door behind it to eventually come to rest face down on top of the flame guard.

Last night's fire was constantly going out then suddenly exploding inside the stove and a puff of smoke came out from behind. The stove was angry and it was rattling. I opened the bypass and just let it go out until I could take a peek this morning.

I contacted MF Fire and requested the part to hold it back into its proper space (combustor retaining peg). I definitely wish I checked this way earlier in my trials! I did buy from a local retailer and had it professionally installed. (yikes!)

Our Nova is freestanding, back vented with one 90 angle to the flue. (it's "make" date was September of 2021, I understand some catalyst flame guards don't have to be unscrewed in the newer models). I say this because when you watch videos of how it should be your stove might be a little different.

BTW engaging the catalyst does change the flame (kind of arrests it) but it has not ever looked the way that video does.

Good luck!

Reactions: begreen