November Water Skiing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Coming through Hannawa Falls New York yesterday I spotted this boat pulling a skier who fell, the picture is a cell phone pic so it's not great, the skier is getting in the back of the boat in this picture.

zap

Attachments

• 11-02-10_163.jpg
    11-02-10_163.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 818
Zap, some folks learn slowly... Makes me shiver just thinking about it.

wood spliter said:
When I was up last week it was warmer. Isn't it cold this week? It was snowing when I left Saturday in the morning.

Spliter I think it was about 35 yesterday.

zap

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, some folks learn slowly... Makes me shiver just thinking about it.

Makes me shrink just thinking about it.

zap

I have skied the waters of upstate NY every month except January and February at one point or another. The initial drop in is a little rough until the wetsuit warms up.

I used to try and see how late in the season I could swim off the boat in the Lower Hudson. My record is October 26 about 10 years ago. It was one of those nice, warm early fall days and I was out on the boat enjoying the warm sun. I jumped in the water to cool off. Once I hit the water, I was sure I would be dead from hypothermia in seconds! Holy crap it was cold! I was out very fast! I won't be trying to beat that record. I was NOT wearing a wet suit.

Right now, as of 7:00 EDT -
air temp = 49 F
water temp = 58 F

South Shore L.I.; Atlantic sea temps...

I could go in the water once and stay in for a while. But your in and out when water skiing. I've done winter scuba diving wet and dry. Its always worse when you come out.

I routinely swam up to november when i was younger. Lake water temps stay warmer than the air does. I have seen people out in wet suits too...or is that dry suits??

Early October we had a Saturday when it was pushing 80 degrees. Coming back from Newport, I took a swing thru Jamestown, an island at the mouth of Narragansett Bay. The water temp was still probably in the mid 60's so no biggie. But there were a lot of people swimming.

I once flipped a small sailboat on Lake George on October 31st. I was real young at the time and my father, who was in the boat with me, was pizzed!

ROTFLMAO remembering.

Matt

Many years ago went thru the ice in a Bronco on the eve of the Super Bowl. Up to my chest, that was cold. Had driven off the side of the road into a field at night when nature called. Someone had dug a large pit for fill dirt, but had dug around trees. With six inches of snow I had no idea there was even a pit there. Had driven 75 on the ice before it broke thru.

come on up here to york beach and watch the surfers climb over the snow banks all winter long in their dry suits to catch storm waves, (I think the cold does something to the brain), you will see them lying in the water between catching waves as the water temp is still around 45 all winter, compared to the air temp (I have seen them surfing down into the teens). when they come out with icicles on their beards, you know it is cold!

hehe. Did a job down in Scituate MA the other day and saw
some dudes surfing. Brrrrr

I remember when I was younger myself and friend had to go to 3 different lakes in April to find one that we could ski on. The first 2 still had ice on them. We went for one ski each and then proceeded directly to much boozahol to numb the cold. Still makes me laugh thinking about it. One of the great things about this site. Thanks.

rowerwet said:
I guess the adrenalin keeps you warm!

Or the stupidity! Wow!

EatenByLimestone said:
I once flipped a small sailboat on Lake George on October 31st. I was real young at the time and my father, who was in the boat with me, was pizzed!

ROTFLMAO remembering.

Matt

In Lake George it doesn't matter the month - it's always cold.

Bet there was some major sack shrinkage going on...

Status
Not open for further replies.