Novice Looking For Insert Advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

czorbach

Dec 25, 2008
North Baltimore
I have decided to get an insert for my masonry fireplace. I have looked at wood, pellet, and gas.
Gas is convenient - but one of my goals is reducing my natural gas bill.
Pellet is intriguing - but I would like heat during our many power outages.
So I am back to wood - I grew up in a house with a wood burning stove.

I have a 1900 ft rancher with fireplace in the lower level on an external wall and an open stairwell between floors.
Models that I am considering:
Jotel 450 or 550
VC Montpelier
Lopi Declaration
Hamption 3100

My criteria are quality, value, output, and on-going maintenance.
My wife is more focused on appearance - she doesn't want a large stove sticking out from the fireplace.

Are there other models that I should be considering?
Was thinking of trying to purchase in the spring to get a better deal and I am not ready to pull trigger now.

I have enjoyed reading many of the posts on this site - great information!

Fireplace dimensions, chimnney type (to be installed), a floor plan is a good idea (rough is ok), ceiling fans? That kinda stuff ;-) Need more input :)

Welcome to the forums !

Don't know other inserts to look at. Check and see what is available close to your home.

Since you have read threads here you know most say buy bigger rather than smaller. You will be glad you spent the extra money and only had to buy once.

Not many inserts are flush. THe Jotul 550 is and is also very nice looking.( I am a bit partial.)

The advantage to one sticking out onto your hearth is that those inches exposed will help heat up your room due to the radiant heat. You will still get good heat even in a power outage when you can't use the blowers. The Jotul really needs the blowers on to get the most out of the heat inside of it. THe cast iron surround does hold heat but not like a steel firebox directly connected to the fire within it.

I would guess that most inserts require the same maintenance. Ashes cleaned out as needed. Glass cleaned as needed. Chimney swept as needed. BLowers vacuumed as needed.....You get my drift. THese things are pretty low maint. if you ask me.

Burn times are going to vary according to what type of wood you are burning and the condition that it is in. Heat output is going to vary depending on the size of firebox you decide on . Burn times in the sales manuals all refer to very controlled burns....not really actual, in a real home type of burn times.

As I said - go to a stove store near you and start looking at them - opening them up etc. so you can get a good feel for exactly what you want. Look for solid construction. Secondary air tubes that don't fall out easily. Doors that allow for easy loading of fuel. Blowers that can be conveniently cleaned or repaired.

Just thought of something as I was typing. When I was looking last winter, I really liked the soapstone stoves and considered installing one on our hearth but just didn't have the clearances. They have some really pretty models and give off nice heat for a long time due to the stone holding the heat longer than steel or cast iron.

Considering a full length liner for the original (40 yr old) all brick fireplace, approx 25’ tall.
Fireplace:
Opening 35” wide x 29” high
Depth 17”
Width at back 24”
Hearth 16”

House:
Main Level 28’ x 54’ - approx 1500 sq ft
Lower Level 28’ x 30’ – approx 840 sq ft

No ceiling fans (but they are on my list).

I like my hampton, you can see it at hampton-fire.com, Jotul is another nice looking insert. It depends on if you are willing to pay for the niceties. Regular steel is leess expensive. Both types heat!

charlz- i have a brand new ss liner, kit (in the factory box), just what u need!! let me know if you are interested. 25ft liner, tee, tee cap, top shield, rain cap

It sounds like you have natural gas heating now...?

Unless you get your wood for free, don't expect to lower your natural gas bills without replacing it all with wood-purchase bills. And then there's the hauling of wood, the timing of re-filling the stove, the mess it creates in your living room, the differential of temperatures between rooms. Especially, if your wife plans on having a flush insert instead of one (like mine) that sticks out 8-10 inches from the masonry fireplace --- flush inserts radiate even less heat than the "stick-out" ones.

I'm finding that wood heating is really a lifestyle choice; if you do it simply to save money on natural gas, you'll be disappointed.

charlz

As far as Jotuls (I have a C450) go, with their good looks and quality - I think that the 550 model would suit you better.

I understand that winters in Baltimore are mild, but still... My house is close to 1800 sq ft, very tight, decently insulated, and my C450 had a very hard time keeping 72°F the few nights when it was 10 degrees outside with 35 mph winds. The gas furnace had to kick in to help every now and then.

Unless yours is a very well insulated 1900 sq ft, you better aim higher than 60,000 BTU/hr capacity. I'd consider 65,000 as a minimum.
Good inserts in that range are
Model (Brand)
1402 (Napoleon)
I3100 (Regency)
I2400 (Regency)
HI300 (Hampton) - Regency I2400's brother
Pacific (Pacific)
Revere (Lopi)
Declaration (Lopi)
4100 (Quadrafire)
Bodega Bay (Quadrafire)
2200 (Osburn)
Clydesdale (Hearthstone)
C550 (Jotul)

All of these are good quality stoves, sufficient to heat your home. They differ in looks, ease of operation, (in)ability to use external air for combustion, blower capability and noise, installation dimensions, warranty, cost (both purchase and ownership), and sex appeal.
There are larger models, which I am not listing here, beyond and above your needs.

These are all non-catalytic. I know nothing about the catalytic ones.

Cheers!

I have the 550 Jotul, we live in Garrett County on the weekends, Baltimore during the week, and we couldn't be happier! We arrive on Friday night and by Saturday morning the top floor is 70*. It is new this year and so far I haven't used any propane to heat my home, low outside temps down to 0*. It is a steep learning curve to get it to heat correctly, but I am on my way. The house is designed by Baltimore architects, and the Jotul fits with the Arts and Crafts design. I don't think you could go wrong with any of the top manufactures models, but this one fills all my needs perfectly.

I also have a Jotul 550 and it kept the main floor of a split level ranch warm 60 degrees when we had and ice storm two weeks ago. Had the house so warm yesterday ,wife complained it was too hot, stop feeding the fire. Go to different dealers in your area and see what they have to offer. But as said before buy a bigger stove rather than smaller. Welcome to the web.

charlz said:
My criteria are quality, value, output, and on-going maintenance.
My wife is more focused on appearance - she doesn't want a large stove sticking out from the fireplace.

Are there other models that I should be considering?

I like my Lopi FreedomBay insert. My wife likes the way it looks, and I like the heat out put. Non-cat so low maintenance.

Attachments

• lopibay.jpg
    lopibay.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 638
Jotul 550 is a great unit and I think it will work great in your home. It is beautiful and a good heater. I do think that there are others though that may be great heaters. Check out PE Summit for example. But I love my Jotul, and wouldn't trade it.

Just 2 cents, I made the mistake of buying an undersized insert and had to upgrade to a larger one (even though the original one was spec'd for up to 1800 sqft and I have only 1300+ to heat). Anyway, the new Napoleon 1402 that I installed has twin 200 cfm blowers. My last unit had a single 130 cfm blower. The results have been kinda dramatic, with the new unit pushing WAY more heat than the old one. I believe that blower capacity can have alot to do with overall performance. If you are thinking of using it as a primary heat source, I would definitely suggest considering the blower capacity of the insert. They all have a variable speed adjustment, so if you are pushing too much air, you can always reduce. But you can't push more if your unit only offers 100 or 130 cfm.

Also, others have said here and I agree, if you plan on burning through the night, consider a firebox at least 2 cuft or greater. Smaller than that and you will be setting your alarm twice or waking up to the peaceful rumble of your oil/gas heater operating.

Best of luck.
Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.