Novice question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dp16

Oct 24, 2016
N MI
I recently had an Osburn 2400 insert installed and have a question about the blower operation (the manual is less than helpful). Once I have the stove going and the room(s) get to the temp I want them, can I turn off the blower or does it need to run all the time while the insert is burning? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I am new to all this and do not want to ruin anything.

Reactions: Niko
Turn it off if you want. Nothing will be harmed.
Look at it this way: If the power was out, would
you still be able to burn your insert?
The answer is YES.

The Osburn 2400 should have the Variable Speed Control on the blower, so you can dial it down to low if you do not want to turn it off

The Osburn 2400 should have the Variable Speed Control on the blower, so you can dial it down to low if you do not want to turn it off

It does have a 2-speed blower. I have been running it on high to take the chill off the room then down to low, but wasn't sure if I could turn it off without causing some damage. I guess I never thought about the power outage scenario.

You may want to consider the stoves temp as you run the fan on the unit. If you don't have a stove top thermometer you really should get one. Running the fan on high while the stove is cool or warming from cold or cooling down after burning down a load of wood is counter productive to clean burning. On the other hand leaving the fan on low or off while the stove is at full peak temperature won't transfer the heat into the room as effectively with an insert. I agree you're not likely to hurt anything though if you don't feel like running the fan.

You may want to consider the stoves temp as you run the fan on the unit. If you don't have a stove top thermometer you really should get one. Running the fan on high while the stove is cool or warming from cold or cooling down after burning down a load of wood is counter productive to clean burning. On the other hand leaving the fan on low or off while the stove is at full peak temperature won't transfer the heat into the room as effectively with an insert. I agree you're not likely to hurt anything though if you don't feel like running the fan.

Thanks for the tips. Just picked up a stove top thermometer this weekend and still trying to figure out the best way to run the insert before trying to run it all night. We moved into our house recently and just had the insert installed. Had to get firewood last minute so it is not as seasoned as I would have liked, but when you are behind the curve I guess you have to do what you have to do. Thanks again!!

I adjust my blower speed based on my running stove top temp. Running it too high lowers my temp too much