Now don't laugh ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stephen44

Jul 24, 2008
Danville VA
An acquaintance who has had a OWB for years - says that at the end of the season - he sprays the inside of his boiler with diesel fuel and ignites it to clean off the creosote.

Does this do any good and is it safe - i don't think he sprays tons on - just a coating. ?

Diesel burns so HOT, I don't see how this could be good for the firebox. It does not explode however, so it would tale the creosote off of the firebox while shortening it's life by??

He's not going to hurt the firebox, if there's water in it... Somehow, I just don't see me doing that in my basement... nope. Wouldn't do it unless the OWB was far enough away from the house that the flames and heat wouldn't reach... ;)

stephen44 said:
An acquaintance who has had a OWB for years - says that at the end of the season - he sprays the inside of his boiler with diesel fuel and ignites it to clean off the creosote.

Does this do any good and is it safe - i don't think he sprays tons on - just a coating. ?

I sometimes use diesel oil in a normally heavy oil boiler. Regardless, any fumes can seriously explode and blow out a boiler casing if the mixture is in the combustable range. This is caused by not thoroughly purging before lighting. Why do all stove/wood boiler mfgs specifically state not to use flammable liquids for starting fires? Think about that. Ask any oil burner tech about what happens when someone has hit the reset switch a dozen times after not lighting and then it decides to light. It will blow.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.