Now here is another odd bathroom question..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay H

Nov 20, 2006
NJ
Showerhead spout... Now I'm screwing in my shower head spout and am I missing something? In order to get the shower spout tight, the shower head would have to face the ceiling, which in all my stupidity, cannot be right. :) What am I supposed to do to get the shower head facing down AND also tight? Should I add more teflon tape to the threads and hopefully get it at a point where it faces down?? What am I missing?

Jay

Put it on from a different angle, to compensate for it stopping at "down".

If that don't work, I dunno :)

Get a pipe cap that threads onto the end of the spout, so you've got something other than your nice chrome pipe to get a pipe wrench on, and go to town on it 'til it's aligned the way you want it, then take the cap off & install your showerhead. Rick

Jay H:: For future projects,,when it comes to the finish details like the head,,,its best at times not to have tightened the connecting nipple all the way. The shower head will typically take less force to achieve a seal. By using say, a 6 inch crescent wrench on the shower head, at some point it would stop turning and cause the nipple to start turning and tighten. At this point is where you would start noticing the position of the head and determine how much more it needed to turn to be in position. Also at this point you have two adjustments, you can either turn the nipple more with a pipe wrench getting the head near position, and if it feels tight enough, then finish tightening the shower head onto the nipple, until its in position hopefully.
I`m sure I could do it better than i`m able to explain how to. Typically i feel many people over kill when tightening threaded pipe, its easy to do if a selection of wrench sizes are not available. A properly tapered and cut nipple (which hasn`t been banged around and damaged) will seal primarily , due to the number of threads which are engaging, not necessarily the applied force

I'm not sure if there is a nipple on the showerhead spout, I thought it was simply a 90deg elbow... I think I tried it without teflon tape to see if it would work but not much. It is about the 1oclock position when fully tight and didn't think I could get it 5 more cock positions before breaking something! I dunno, I'll try it again some more...

Jay

The shower head has to be leak proof but not pressure proof. As long as the shower head nipple is nice and snug with some good teflon sealant it should be fine. The only pressure in that area is that of the water passing through. The high pressure stops at the valve which turns the shower on/off.

Nice respose John-M, so true

Jay---The earlier pictures showed your shower head installed,,I guess these were jusy hand tight? The curved nipple which penetrates the shower wall and yes, should screw into a 90, is the nipple I was referring to. IT does not need to be turned until it wont turn any more, as described by john above.
Soft nipples ( brass and such) can be over tightened and this can effect their threads ability to seal when going back with them, once they have been removed.
It`s only happened to me once, and was a very old brass nipple having been overtightened into a black pipe 90.

Well, it's fairly loose (w/ teflon tape) at the proper angle. I.e. I've banged my head on it a few times and have rotated it slightly.... :)

I have the back panel access board out and can always check for leaks when I get the tub spout from moen back (w/ the diverter in it, no rush now (Yes, I know I can probably stuff a cork in the nipple and do the same effect).)...

Jay

You`ve banged your head a few times on this project Jay! :grrr: I got to give it to you, you got the "stick to it stuff" needed for such a remodel! Over the years I`ve come to respect the skill level needed to be a plumber. Bet you cant wait to put all this knowledge you`ve acquired towards your next bathroom! :coolsmile: Wish I was closer,,,I`d be there!

Hmm, I've always considered putting a bathroom upstairs... After this project... NAAaaaaaahhhhhhh :) :)

Actually, I've had some fun with this, feel like God at times, feel like sh*t at times but I guess that comes with the territory.

I'll be happy when this is over and then I start the kitchen...:D You all better study up on your kitchen design as I'm sure to have questions then too!

Jay

Jay,,After your parts come in ,,, and if you are still having problems (hopefully not), perhaps you can run down a plumber working out of his truck, with a hand threader,,,he may be able to put a couple more threads on the nipple which will enable you to get some more turn on it. He would be able to tell you the odds of success, or an alternative.

I had an epiphany today and some time to work on the shower.. I moved the teflon tape a little further back, knowing that the threads are tapered (very so slightly) that it should make it go in longer... Tried it, got it to 3 oclock fairly tight so I took it out and removed a few inches of tape and voila, worked better.. woohoo! Now if Moen will just hurry up and send me the tub spout...

Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.