Now I know what secondary burn is WOW!!!!!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

guest5234

Strove is the one on my avator picture.
4 months burning and like many new stove owners I have got secondary burn for 10 or 14 minutes and could only start open eyed at the stories of 1 hours plus of secondary burn……….until now…… last night I had 3 good oak splits going and a hot fire… decided I was off to bed and as it was a very cold night and I decided to throw 2 large birch splits on to keep the poor dog warm downstairs, opened the air up and went for a drink… came back 2 mins later to find the whole firebox a raging mad fire, quickly shut the air down fully and then the light show started….WOW…..the jets from the tubes above the fire were throwing out flames that were bouncing of the glass front and the whole firebox was like a jet engine….Must admit I was really worried as it just looked like the glass could explode with the jets of flame rebounding off them,….it took an hour before the light show died enough for me to stop worrying and go to bed…..god the heat produced was awesome and the smell was that hot metal smell that I have never experienced….funny thing is that the flue temperature did not get as high as I thought and stayed below 550f….cant wait till tonight….better than watching the TV.

Neil said:
4 months burning and like many new stove owners I have got secondary burn for 10 or 14 minutes and could only start open eyed at the stories of 1 hours plus of secondary burn……….until now…… last night I had 3 good oak splits going and a hot fire… decided I was off to bed and as it was a very cold night and I decided to throw 2 large birch splits on to keep the poor dog warm downstairs, opened the air up and went for a drink… came back 2 mins later to find the whole firebox a raging mad fire, quickly shut the air down fully and then the light show started….WOW…..the jets from the tubes above the fire were throwing out flames that were bouncing of the glass front and the whole firebox was like a jet engine….Must admit I was really worried as it just looked like the glass could explode with the jets of flame rebounding off them,….it took an hour before the light show died enough for me to stop worrying and go to bed…..god the heat produced was awesome and the smell was that hot metal smell that I have never experienced….funny thing is that the flue temperature did not get as high as I thought and stayed below 550f….cant wait till tonight….better than watching the TV.

I agree with everything above lolololol

johnnywarm said:
Neil said:

I agree with everything above lolololol

Just got another one on the go....I am getting to be an addict....LOL

What kind of stove is that?

I have seen the light this year too! Seems like my Castine likes to get up around 650 to 700F (Rutland stovetop thermometer) before it really starts the secondary burn (one that lasts a while). Last year was my first year and I kept the temp lower (400's) and all I ever got was a brief "Aurora Borealis" effect when I cut the air off. This year I get a p.o.'d dragon effect for at least an hour!

Very, very high stove temps work best for me too. If the surface temp is about 600F or higher, and the wood is burning good then the secondaries are good once the air intake is reduced. The other thing, people noted on this website -- is to fill the firebox so that the wood is near the secondary tubes. Once the fire burns down, or if the wood isn't stacked high then the secondaries seem non-existent. Yesterday, I had some great secondaries - almost seemed like fireworks or static-electric sparks where the tubes were firing orange and purple gases, very intriguing to watch.

When the fire is low or too far from the burn tubes for the fire to be going through them, There is still secondary combustion going on. Secondary combustion just means that all the smoke is beng burned, rather than escaping up the flue as unburned volatiles. If there's no smoke coming out the chimney/flue, you are getting full combustion. That being said, it sure is purdy to see the fire squirting through all the little holes in the burn tubes :)

Dow N. Jones said:
karri0n said:
When the fire is low or too far from the burn tubes for the fire to be going through them, There is still secondary combustion going on. Secondary combustion just means that all the smoke is beng burned, rather than escaping up the flue as unburned volatiles. If there's no smoke coming out the chimney/flue, you are getting full combustion. That being said, it sure is purdy to see the fire squirting through all the little holes in the burn tubes :)
so the air rides along the top of the firebox,produces no flame, & is still combusting & not airwashing heat from the overhead bricks? coals dont need much air & produce little pyrogas but this overhead air assists combustion?
sorry, but when i milk my bull i dont get BS :)

No, not quite what I was going for. All I was saying is that there doesn't need to be flames shooting across the top of the firebox to mean your fuel is combusting fully. If there are flames and no smoke, then you are getting secondary combustion, even if the origin is not from the secondary burn tubes. The smoke is burning off. If the wood is in the coaling stage, it's impossible to get secondary combustion as it's not producing any smoke for burning.

Thank you, however, for manipulating my words to match your unwarranted personal attack :)

KarriOn, a lot of the posts on this website claim that secondary combustion from the tubes can actually increase the stove temperature - therefore allowing more heat into the home via the blower fan, not to mention longer burn times. I always had trouble believing this claim about temperature, dispite testimony coming from several of the experts here. I figured less air means less heat. But maybe if those secondary tubes are fired long enough it will heat up the stoves top surface allowing more heat transfer to the home????

I'm still experimenting with my stove and secondary burns, and I'm mainly focusing on stove surface temperature. So far, I've noticed that the temperature drops when I reduce the air intake, unless those secondary tubes are firing. If the tubes are firing the stove stays hot. I can't say that I've seen the temperature increase yet, but I'm still experimenting and observing.

Custerstove, The secondary burn from the burn tubes will increase stovetop temp. This is due to the fire being closer to the stovetop, as well as more complete combustion than if it had escaped the stove as smoke.

Less air would mean less heat, but on these EPA stoves with the secondary burn baffle, air is brought in from the secondary air inlet. this is what feeds the tubes. It is this air going through the tubes, as well as the heat reflecting from the firebrick within the stove, thereby keeping the firebox incredibly hot, that gives you the secondary combustion. If you did not have the secondary air inlet, then when you shut down the primary air, the fire would choke, smolder, and eventually die from lack of air.

Yes, if it were possible to have the flames constantly firing through the burn tubes and making the nice "light show", you would get more heat into the home. However, it's only possible to have this when the wood is burning high enough to "reach" them. Once the wood burns down signifigantly, there just isn't enough excess fuel to make the secondary tubes fire. You still aren't producing any smoke, as it is burning off before it reaches the very top of the firebox.

Status
Not open for further replies.