Now I understand...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lml999

Minister of Fire
Oct 25, 2013
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
I was playing around with my infrared thermometer earlier today and on a whim, I checked the stone veneer around my stove. Note, I checked it while the temperature outside was 10 degrees, and had been lower overnight. Also, my stove was cold, hadn't been used since Monday.

I saw a 10 degree differential between the stone face directly above the stove (and in front of the firebox and to the side, where the veneer is in front of an insulated wall.

(The picture below was taken after I took the temperatures, not while the stove was lit.)

Clearly the firebox behind the stove is cold, substantially colder than the house interior.

Now that the stove has been running for a while, the differential has reversed, with the veneer at 78 degrees or so. I would guess that most of the increase is be due to the airflow up from the stove rather than from the firebox heating up...just not enough time for the stone to warm from the rear.

These readings make a pretty compelling case for installing a blocking plate and some amount of insulation. Right now, the cold chimney funnels cold air down into the fire box.

This has now become a higher priority item on my "HoneyDo" list. I think I'll find some sheetmetal and insulation in preparation for a couple of warm days.

Also, by the way, I'm planning on installing the blocking shield as a two piece unit, one half on either side of the vent pipe (so I don't have to remove/reinstall the pipe). I'll set it up so that I can join it in the middle, sealing around the pipe.

Also, pardon the mess...I didn't know I was going to have guests. :)

2014-01-22 12.49.08.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.