Now its smoking bad!!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sandra Boyd

Feb 2, 2012
Southwest CA.
Auger is running now, but have other problems now. A friend of a friend came over and he looked at it to see what he could do. I said I thought maybe the bushing ? That the auger gears were not turning. He went and made a new bushing checked everything else and greased or oiled what he said needed to be done. But when I went to start it the next day, I hit the start then the auger button waiting for it to heat up and come on (the blower) when all kinds of smoke starts coming out from the blower tubes, the sides, the back, wherever it can. Then the blower comes on and no more smoke comes out. This never happened before the auger was worked on. It scares me and I don't know what to do. Can anyone help with suggestions on why this is happening or what to do? Appreciate any and all help I can get. Oh, this a Whitfield Quest pellet stove.
Thanks so much
BodfishSandy

I don't really know what to tell you, but maybe that "grease or oil" is what's smoking. Maybe too much and it got into where it shouldn't have. Did the smoke smell like wood smoke or oil smoke?

I bet slickplant would know what to do...........

oh no :cheese:

hossthehermit said:
I bet slickplant would know what to do...........

Everything was cleaned inside and out. Thats the first thing I thought of was too much oil. He said it was the kind to use and I believed him. Tho, he won't come back to see what is wrong. That seems funny. And who or what is Slickplant??? lol

If the stove got hot it could have been the residue (from the oil) burning off. As it heated could have been sucked into the distribution fan which dispersed it out of the stove.

My first thought would be residual oil/grease burning off. Another thought is a bad gasket? Did you take anything else apart and grease/oil it?

I don't know what all was greased. I will when I can find him! And it seems to be getting worse. More smoke coming out then before. Is it ok to use it? Nothing real bad will happen?

Is it still smoking? If not, I wouldn't worry about it as it was probably oil/grease burning off. If it's still smoking, then that's different.

X4 - WHAT DOES IT SMELL LIKE? If it's wood smoke, shut it OFF!!!!

well it's still smoking but not as bad as before. I reall y don't smell smoke, just see it. I'm tryig to think???? Next time I start it up I will pay more attention to what I smell.
Thanks everyone!!!!!

You can see it? But not smell it??

Where are you seeing it? Near the exhaust?

Status
Not open for further replies.