Now that I can afford a OWD I'm scared of it freezing

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

huntingbuck101

Apr 8, 2008
Northern MN
a few things are making it now possible to get the Wood master 4400 boiler I have been looking at all winter long.
Now that I can come up with the cash I'm chicken to buy it because I Like to worry, (must be hereditary) and a power outage or a pump going out and having a freeze up would aways be on my mind.

I would feel better if I had a glycol mix but I hear it would not heat as well and at $18.00 a gal. it would cost 1/2 as much as the boiler for a 50/50 mix but I wouldn't think you would need that much.

How hard is it to dump the water? do you get it all out, or would you run the risk of some staying in some pockets or main lines?
with a glycol mix what is the percent I'm Northern MN down to -45?
How many years before you would need to drain and refill with the glycol?
I really don't leave much in the winter so that helps
I know allot of people would say just run straight water, you LP furnace will blow on the exchanger and the circulating water and keep it from freezing (fine if you have power) but I would like to be set up for worst case scenario.

Can any one set my mine at ease or is a OWD not for me

Forget the antifreeze. It's not an option in an open system. Exposure to air will wreck it in a hurry.

Usually a circ failure will not cause any problems because the unit will still remain hot. Power outages are another matter entirely and your only real recourse for that is an automatic standby generator. You'll probably pay nearly as much for something like that as you will the boiler.

It's just a matter of calculated risk and what assets you can bring to bear on those risks.

huntingbuck101" date=" said:
.... because I Like to worry...•• Worrying is one thing. Planning and getting educated are another. Sounds like you are doing more of the latter.

I would feel better if I had a glycol mix but I hear it would not heat as well...•• If I recall, glycol carries about 85%, per volume, of the heat that water will. Hopefully, someone else will provide a definitive answer, but that isn't too far off.

with a glycol mix what is the percent I'm Northern MN down to -45? •• 66.66% glycol is as good as it gets. That will take you to about -75 F.

How many years before you would need to drain and refill with the glycol? •• In vehicles, they recommend every 4 or 5 yrs. I'd GUESS about the same for a boiler.

Can any one set my mine at ease... •• Yes. You. : ) Good luck figgering it all out. You are not alone.

I have the same concerns although we don't get nearly as cold here! If I have to go OWB I'm hoping some sort of solar or wind battery storage system for backup will take care of any power outage. I've read where some folk have suggested some sort of alarm in the event of a pump failure...which is fine as long as we are home! If at all possible I'm going to but my boiler in my basement. Just need somebody to come and look at the basement to tell me it's possible...I sure hope it is because the savings in piping from 100' away will pay for the installation I hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.