Now thats a big ash

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lowroadacres

Minister of Fire
Aug 18, 2009
MB
After we finished cutting with my friend's Wallenstein processor yesterday we walked a little further into the bush to scout for more wood.

I new that this Ash had been leaning but now it is down. I placed my work gloves on the trunk to give perspective and my friend who has a wingspan that is over 6 feet could not get his arms around the trunk. It might be time to break out the longer bar on the saw. I am also considering ways to get the main body of the trunk cut into boards.

If I had the money lying around right now an Alaskan mill would be tempting.

Ironically another neighbour has a sawmill set up in his yard but getting a trunk as big as this one to his place will take some doing.

Attachments

• huge tree down-2.jpg
    huge tree down-2.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 631
  • huge tree down-3.jpg
    huge tree down-3.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 590
lowroad. Nice tree man! I doubt it is worth the work and time for board wood. That is great firewood though. I cut one down one that was slightly bigger than that last year. Only had a short section that was straight enough for board wood. It made a lot of nice firewood.

We buy the board wood pretty cheap from the Amish around here. Their horses and wagons and know how make it not even worth the while for everything involved in getting it all the way to board wood.

That will make you a lot of nice fires though lowroad. A lot of nice fires.

A woods ash that is big!

@gasifier. You are likely right on the making of lumber. If I am really interested in rough lumber I have friends who have sawmills who will sell me lumber or if I trade them time for wood it would be a better deal for me.

The only real use I would have for the boards would be for a wood shed and that is a project that will wait a while anyways.

Any rot in the middle? I cut two earlier this year, just about as big as that one, and they both had quite a bit of rot in them. Still a lot of good burning in them.

I don't know yet if there is any rot in the tree but I have my doubts. The reason it, and many others near it, are down is because a 1 in 300 year flood in our area beat them up pretty bad this spring.

I will make sure to post pics once I get into that part of the woodlot.

lowroad, those are a joy to cut and you'll get a good amount of wood from it. It also looks like you'll have no trouble making decisions on where to stand while cutting that tree either. Just be careful and you'll do fine.

I had these ash rounds dropped a month or so ago. Had to get a bigger saw.

0009.jpg

0012.jpg

OMG!! That almost looks photo-shopped. Those are HUGE. Even if you can saw it, how can you split it? Noodle?

mhrschuk,

Have you split that all up yet? I would love to know how old that tree was. That is one big Ash! Did you happen to count the rings on the biggest part?

mhrischuk said:

0009.jpg

0012.jpg

Simply the biggest firewood I've seen delivered. That's freaking huge!

jdinspector said:
Even if you can saw it, how can you split it? Noodle?

Did a bunch of ash earlier this year similar in size. Took two of us w/ 8lb mauls on either side alternating beating our brains out along w/ the 10lb sledge and wedges till it broke in 1/2. Then it took 3 of us to get some of the 1/2 rounds into the dump trailer. Once they were in 1/2, it was surprising how well the fiskars took them apart from there.

It took a lot of Busch light, but we got it done. Man up! :p

Like any job, getting started is the hardest part.

pen

One bite at a time is how one eats an elephant. The ash that I snapped the photo of is going to be a delight when it is cut, split and stacked. Getting there won't be as much fun as throwing it in the stove in two or three years.

I am guessing that the rounds from the thickest part of the trunk are going to require a maul and wedge initially. I don't know if I will attempt to noodle ash with my saw. The one saving grace is I cut most of my rounds into 16 inch lengths as we currently have a very small stove.

If I could get the stove I would like then I would be working to split 20 and 22 inch rounds.

I need to get a photo of the monster ash that's nearly dead/standing on the course. Unfortunately I think they'll leave it there until it falls down since it's in play on our 12th hole and is a pretty important part of play. It's prob in the neighborhood of mhrischuk's unbelievable score and if I ever get a crack at it you guys WILL hear about it. I wonder if the Emerald Ash Borers got to it since EAB is here now and just prior to our 1st frost I witnessed one of the little bastards crawling around. I wasn't quick enough to bag the little bug tho.

The nice thing is I have the backhoe to move things around. I'll just mark it up good around the circumference and try to follow the lines with the 28" Dolmar 7900.
Then I'll quarter the rounds by noodling., then split. I already did a bunch of the big beech that way.

This beech and locust in this photo is already split.. haven't gotten to the ash yet. Haven't touched an axe.

0003.jpg

mhrischuk, when cutting those limbs off you might find things easier if you cut them more flush with the trunk. You'll get a pointed end but splitting and handling the wood will be a whole lot easier.

pen said:
jdinspector said:
Even if you can saw it, how can you split it? Noodle?

Did a bunch of ash earlier this year similar in size. Took two of us w/ 8lb mauls on either side alternating beating our brains out along w/ the 10lb sledge and wedges till it broke in 1/2. Then it took 3 of us to get some of the 1/2 rounds into the dump trailer. Once they were in 1/2, it was surprising how well the fiskars took them apart from there.

It took a lot of Busch light, but we got it done. Man up! :p

Like any job, getting started is the hardest part.

pen

Pen, not sure how you split using the sledge and wedges but I've found that if you place the wedges not in the heart but about 1/2 way between the middle and the outside of the log splits the quickest and easiest. And you are right, after the initial splitting, it goes quicker.

Here is a monster Ash at a job I was on. Note the tree is behind the truck about 8 feet. I am guessing 50 inches DBH.

Attachments

• tree59.jpg
    tree59.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 245
^^ Thats what I see in my mind's eye every time I see an ad on Craigslist for free firewood...but usually its leaning a lot more towards the house.

Backwoods Savage said:
Pen, not sure how you split using the sledge and wedges but I've found that if you place the wedges not in the heart but about 1/2 way between the middle and the outside of the log splits the quickest and easiest. And you are right, after the initial splitting, it goes quicker.

Yep, I do the same. Lets leverage work for you.

pen

mhrischuk said:

0009.jpg

0012.jpg

Yard ash! big difference......lol

Yeah man. There's one in a front yard in town. Just the trunk actually, tree service took care of the rest of it. Gotta be 5'+ DBH. There isn't a scrap of bark left on it. A friend dabbles in carving, I told him he should stop by. That would be pretty cool. It's about 20' in front of the house.
Woodlot trees grow tall and straight. I don't think I've seen an ash over 30" in the woods, at least around here.

Status
Not open for further replies.