now THATS what I call seasoned wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tarmsolo60

Feeling the Heat
Dec 2, 2007
Adirondack Mountains
Still have single digit temps here in the night and my backup outside woodpile seems to have gotten wet from a leak in the tarp covering it. Struggled with wet wood for a couple days and actually thought about using my oil burner. Stopped by my mothers house for a visit and she reminded me she has(now had) about half a cord of wood in her basement left from when she stopped burning about 25 years ago. I was about 15 years old when I stacked this wood, now I'm burning it 25 years later. I laughed to myself how much my ten year old complained when he had to help me move it, I had probably complained as much when I was 15 and stacking the same wood.Probably too dry, but man does it light easy and throw good heat.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.... Good find!

Tarmsolo60 said:
Still have single digit temps here in the night and my backup outside woodpile seems to have gotten wet from a leak in the tarp covering it. Struggled with wet wood for a couple days and actually thought about using my oil burner. Stopped by my mothers house for a visit and she reminded me she has(now had) about half a cord of wood in her basement left from when she stopped burning about 25 years ago. I was about 15 years old when I stacked this wood, now I'm burning it 25 years later. I laughed to myself how much my ten year old complained when he had to help me move it, I had probably complained as much when I was 15 and stacking the same wood.Probably too dry, but man does it light easy and throw good heat.

Funny you say that.. A couple years ago we were camping and needed firewood and a Maine fireman was camping nearby and he mentioned his mothers house has a couple cords in the basement.. So we went there and loaded up with the most seasoned wood I have ever seen... She had died a couple years before and this stuff had probably been there for about 10 years and man that burned awesome! He and I sat around the fire for hrs. drinking rum and cokes using the kids slushy machine for the ice :) Lotta great memories at least what I remember of it!

Ray

oh what a find...
nice man

hey, should have a 'who's burnt the oldest wood' poll.

moondoggy said:
oh what a find...
nice man

Well, that distinction may very well lay with me, but does it have to be split firewood? Anyways, I replaced the sill beams in my 1855 farm house, and had some chunks left over. I burned them not too long ago in the insert. Let's see- 153 years old, approx. 120-130 growth rings (hand-hewed oak 8"x 9"), so 120 + 153, at least 273 yrs :ahhh: !

Oh yeah- I've got some original American Chestnut floor boards from the bedroom (1 1/4" x 8"), counted well over 150 growth rings in some of those- needed a magnifying glass! But you won't catch me burning THAT wood ;-)

moondoggy said:
oh what a find...
nice man

just picked up 5 full cords of 20 year old stuff from the old guy down the street - some is punky BUT most is buring nice

he keep it well covered and protected -

I have some 45 YO rough cut beams out of my Dad's roof, I was going to use it for something someday, that might just be the stove. It's been taking up space in my garage for over 5 years. I'm thinking I'll cut a bunch real small and split it small for kindling

You have me by 4 years. But some slight history with my story.

My father acquired funding to rennovate the original log cabin that was used as the first territorial meeting place for the western Territory of Kansas that became the Territory, and then State of Colorado. This rennovation occurred in 1976 as part of the bicentennial and Colorado's centennial. The cabin was built in 1859. A couple of years ago more structural shoring up was needed, so they acquired more funds and did more rennovation. A few months ago he dropped by and handed me some wood saying he thought I could use it for my wood stove. Sure I said, but fortuitously asked where it came from. He said these were pieces from the original log cabin of 1859. Are you kidding?? These are now sitting in a safe place, and will not make their way to my stove...

brooktrout said:
moondoggy said:
oh what a find...
nice man

Well, that distinction may very well lay with me, but does it have to be split firewood? Anyways, I replaced the sill beams in my 1855 farm house, and had some chunks left over. I burned them not too long ago in the insert. Let's see- 153 years old, approx. 120-130 growth rings (hand-hewed oak 8"x 9"), so 120 + 153, at least 273 yrs :ahhh: !

Brooktrout, I also have about a dozen rough sawn, shiplap chestnut floorboards that are at least 150 years old. I took them from a carrage shed I was replacing with a new addition for a customer. Some boards are over 2' wide. I've used them to make fireplace mantels. I've burned some scraps and they seem to smolder some. Maybe that's why chestnut was used in building as it doesn't tinder well. Mahogany and redwood doesn't burn very well either.

Jim

jbrown56 said:
Brooktrout, I also have about a dozen rough sawn, shiplap chestnut floorboards that are at least 150 years old. I took them from a carrage shed I was replacing with a new addition for a customer. Some boards are over 2' wide. I've used them to make fireplace mantels. I've burned some scraps and they seem to smolder some. Maybe that's why chestnut was used in building as it doesn't tinder well. Mahogany and redwood doesn't burn very well either.

Jim
WOW- that's some pretty wide chestnut- that would fetch a pretty penny. I've seen sites where wormy reclaimed chestnut goes for around $30/ft. I have about 140sq ft of it. I plan to make a kitchen counter out of it when I do the addition...

drhiii said:
You have me by 4 years. But some slight history with my story.

My father acquired funding to rennovate the original log cabin that was used as the first territorial meeting place for the western Territory of Kansas that became the Territory, and then State of Colorado. This rennovation occurred in 1976 as part of the bicentennial and Colorado's centennial. The cabin was built in 1859. A couple of years ago more structural shoring up was needed, so they acquired more funds and did more rennovation. A few months ago he dropped by and handed me some wood saying he thought I could use it for my wood stove. Sure I said, but fortuitously asked where it came from. He said these were pieces from the original log cabin of 1859. Are you kidding?? These are now sitting in a safe place, and will not make their way to my stove...

brooktrout said:
moondoggy said:
oh what a find...
nice man

I like that story- old houses hold a special place in my heart. I love finding stuff in the walls when I renovate. Love letters, reading glasses, an old silver pocket watch, lots of cool stuff...

Status
Not open for further replies.