Now the Lawn Tractor Won't Start ....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dix

Minister of Fire
May 27, 2008
Long Island, NY
Am I cursed???

Sears rider.

New battery, new spark spark, and no juice. No Wanna start, no nothing.

Model # 917.272680

One of the safety switches is most likely the culprit. Most mowers have one on the seat and one on the mower engagement lever. You can bypass them by finding them, unplugging it, and using a wire to connect the terminals. Unless I understood this wrong, does it crank and not fire, or no crank at all? What I wrote above would be for a no crank situation.

Check your PTO switch (off) parking brake switch (on) cruise control (off) first.

Check your fuses.

Do you have a voltmeter?

The seat switch usually won't prevent starting, as it's bypassed by the parking brake switch.

Yeah it is one of those damned switches. That supposedly save your life but destroy your sanity while doing it.

Will check for a volt meter, honestly this is not my usual territory, if ya get my female drift ;)

And yes, no nothing ... dead, dead, deadski.

If not a safety switch, the other major culprit is a bad connection at the battery terminal. Take a wrench and carefully twist the connection slightly and see if that will work.

Never had that problem with a horse. Any chance she can pull a mower?

I have 3 riders and 2 walkers. 1 walkers under-deck deflector broke loose and can't mow without chewing up the blade. The other's gas primer bulb is split and pushing only air. My 1st rider's idler pulley flew off and waiting for a new one, another rider has a dead battery coz I didn't get on it last year, and finally the last one looks good but still needs the 52" deck mounted. It's going to be a long season. Ready to start shopping wood to get my mind off of it all!

Well, chopping wood... Not shopping for it

Yeah - if the starter isn't trying to engage, there is only a short handful of things that it can be. Start with the safety switches first.

Reactions: Ashful
....then move on to the key switch & its connections.

Then the starter & its connections......

(BTW, I just went through this very same issue two days ago - with a McCormick cx100. Little bit of a difference in horsepower - but it was a safety switch, on the transmission. A paper clip got it out of the woods.)

Checked it this evening when I got home ... seems the person who installed the battery & spark plug for me neglected to raise the blades up before starting it ;)

The switch suggestions got me to thinking, and sure enough, the blades were down when I went and looked.

Grass cut, leaves chopped up, cruising right along :)

Reactions: claydogg84
That's a new one for me. Any of my machines will start with the blades down, as long as the PTO is off. Glad you got it going!

I hate those safety switches. I leave most of them enabled except the worst one of all. the one that kills the engine if you try to go in reverse with the pto engaged (ie blades rotating). That is the first thing i disable when i get a new rider. It is a rider mower, who in the world doesnt look behind them when backing up with the blades turning? if i need to backup i usually just back up while my head is turned to see back there anyway.

I hate those safety switches. I leave most of them enabled except the worst one of all. the one that kills the engine if you try to go in reverse with the pto engaged (ie blades rotating). That is the first thing i disable when i get a new rider. It is a rider mower, who in the world doesnt look behind them when backing up with the blades turning? if i need to backup i usually just back up while my head is turned to see back there anyway.

That one drives me insane. I have to mow hilly terrain and occasionally have to back up in some precarious positions. Makes it difficult to put it in reverse, hit the button that lets me go in reverse with the PTO engaged, keep a hand on the wheel, and watch behind me all at the same time. Would be much easier (and safer) without that "feature."

Remember the other thread where the fool put an aerosol can in the wood stove? Manufacturers have to do their best to protect all. And one of the things they commonly need to protect against is folks drinking and mowing.., especially now that they put cup (aka beer) holders on models.

Sad to say, there is more than one incident where some idiot backed over a child that shouldn't have even been in the area.
So we all get to be inconvenienced and pay for the privilege.

Have to say there has been more then one time where I have been hustling to complete yard chores and in a rush tried to get off the mower with the blades engaged. The engine cutting out is a quick reminder to disengage the blades first and a good one at that.

Reactions: heat seeker
One answer, in three words: Commercial Zero-Turn.

Reactions: Jags
No safety switches on them??

No safety switches on them??

Seat and PTO engage. That is about it. Supposedly "Pro's" don't have an issue with backing over stuff.;lol

Love my commercial zero turn - love, love, love.

They have safety switches, but you don't do much backing up with a zero turn.
Huh? Homeowners on zero turns throw one lever into reverse at every turn. Pros generally do K-turns, to avoid turf tearing with wide rear tires, and so are throwing BOTH levers into reverse at every turn.

My commercial Deere 757 ZTrak has only one safety switch, can't get off seat for more than 2 seconds with mower deck running.

Huh? Homeowners on zero turns throw one lever into reverse at every turn. Pros generally do K-turns, to avoid turf tearing with wide rear tires, and so are throwing BOTH levers into reverse at every turn.

My commercial Deere 757 ZTrak has only one safety switch, can't get off seat for more than 2 seconds with mower deck running.

Since you want to try and be technical, did I say anything about levers, or did I say "backing up". There is a difference, and I'm well aware how zero turns, "turn". Anymore Huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.