Now thinking a new Englander 30

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnyjump2

Jan 5, 2008
Seattle
I am looking at buying this wood stove for my little 980 sq' house. It seems like a good deal (with blower) for $800. From this incredable site Ive learned much. My question is will this 1989 stove be as efficient as the new ones, or nearly so, or has there been so many technical improvements that there is no comparison. I was close to ordering an Avalon "Arbor" but I think maybe too much heat (and $$$). Thanks for any help.

If it has a baffle and secondary air tubes it's probably pretty close to todays stoves. Stove technology hasn't changed that much.

$800 sounds a little high to me for a 20 year old stove.

For less than that, you could buy a brand new Englander.

Ok, you guys answered my questions with good advice and I passed on the 1989 PE Spectrum. The more I see here and read about the NE 30 it sounds like a good fit for my little 1940 house with a 220 sq' stove room with ceiling fan. I plan on burning 24/7 as main heat (electric baseboard backup). I am an arborist so my wood will be varied (maple, oak, apple, pine, spruce, plum etc. and free...actually I get paid to cut and haul my own firewood. I love my job. The stove pipe looks like it will be a straight shot up about 20' and I plan to vent the intake through the floor ( dirt dug out crawl/stand up beneath). I have not figured out the pad yet for on the Pine/Fir wood floor. With the NE 30 at 480 lbs plus pad weight I wonder if there is any need for reinforcement in a corner location. Its like 3 or 4 people standing in the corner b.s.'ing and telling whoppers about how long and hot their units burn so it seems like good as is. What else do I need to be thinking about? I am thinking that I would order everything on line. Local HD and Lowes carry only 1 or 2 pellet stoves. Thanks for everyone's time.

thousand square ft, the 30 is too much stove unless you are very poorly insulated. the 13 would be a better fit if your house holds heat. both use the same technology but the 13-nc is better sized for the square footage. sometimes bigger isnt necessarily better, it might be hard to back the 30 down far enough to not overheat the house. the 13-nc runs a bit less also.

A 30 will def heat the place, might be overkill though. Of course you could always burn smaller fires. I myself would always want to be too big than too small. Large you can load less, small can only hold so much, and if that don't cut it, your not gonna get any more. But it still seems overkill for your size home. The 13 might better suite that place. My only beef is the burn times between the two are like night & day. You could always go large and open a window ;)

Hogwildz said:
A 30 will def heat the place, might be overkill though. Of course you could always burn smaller fires. I myself would always want to be too big than too small. Large you can load less, small can only hold so much, and if that don't cut it, your not gonna get any more. But it still seems overkill for your size home. The 13 might better suite that place. My only beef is the burn times between the two are like night & day. You could always go large and open a window ;)

true hogz, but smaller fires are not going to get the long burn times either, degree of insulation shold be the deciding factor. the 13 for its size still gets decent burn times, nothing like the 30 but the firebox is almost twice as large so a longer burn time would be a matter of cause. another issue with small fires in a big firebox is that the secondaries would not be nearly as active , too much secondary air in a large open chamber with less "fuel" hovering around in the top of the chamber. if ya cant load it up and run it, its too big

Ok, so get the 30, pack her full, and crack a couple windows ;)
The office I am going to put one of those babies in is 12' x 17 ', the addition being 750 sf, but with 10' ceilings, and two open doorways to the main house.
Plus I am already beginning to set up to route 2 duct with duct fans from office to master bedroom next to it. One taking heat high from the office and ducting it low in bedroom, and one taking cool air low from the other end of bedroom and dumping it high in the opposite end of office. And yes I will at least look for firestop registers. Haven't found any yet though. And worst case, I slide the sliding door in off open a lil. Or open the door to garage to keep the hog cozy ;)

If you're in Seattle, you need someplace to keep your wood dry.

If you have electric heat, just add up your wattage on a cold night and convert to btu/hr. For our cabin I got about 5 kw = 17060 btu/hr.

At 63% efficiency and 18M btu's per cord, a cubic foot of wood calculates out to 88600 btu's of heat. For softwood it's more like 12M/cord, so 59k btu's. (I hadn't done this calculation yet for our situation, hmmm....)

stoveguy2esw said:
Hogwildz said:

true hogz, but smaller fires are not going to get the long burn times either, degree of insulation shold be the deciding factor. the 13 for its size still gets decent burn times, nothing like the 30 but the firebox is almost twice as large so a longer burn time would be a matter of cause. another issue with small fires in a big firebox is that the secondaries would not be nearly as active , too much secondary air in a large open chamber with less "fuel" hovering around in the top of the chamber. if ya cant load it up and run it, its too big

"degree of insulation" . . . all new thermal windows in '05, none in walls and @ 6" blown in attic. I will nnow look up the 13. thank you.

Give me a break, an Englander 30 in an under 1000 sq ft house in Seattle is not a good plan unless you intend to open up a sauna. Were at only 710 degree days and its 41 outside dudes. Pass on this one jj, it's not for you.

The Avalon Arbor is a little big, but better than a 30NC, though it may be fussy about draft. I would get a Pacific Energy Alderlea T5 (or Spectrum) or an Avalon Rainier or an Englander 13NC.

You really REALLY don't want to put the 30NC in a house that small. I've done it. In Virginia. And it was not fun. To quote Mike Holton, "I had to open the windows to keep the roof from blowing off."

Buy the 13NC, you'll still get 8 hour burns and you'll be able to live in the house while it's burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.