Now this is a suitcase weight

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffesonm

Minister of Fire
May 29, 2012
central NJ
Added some ballast to the new JD 4310... it is one of two suitcase weights I have from my old Oliver OC-46 crawler tractor. Each one is around 26" x 18" x 4" thick and weighs 400 lbs! It's thin enough I can still use the 3 point pallet forks, which I keep on all the time because they are so useful... can't lift as high as the front forks, but they are way more stable moving pallets of stuff around.

IMG_0129_zpsy0gvytb7.jpg

IMG_0130_zpsuxko7cl4.jpg

Good setup. I use the barbell I am too old and scrawny to lift anymore in my quick hitch for ballast for the loader bucket.

I have a stack of those on the back of my Oliver loader.

Growing up I always used to see old time farmers with a huge block of concrete on back for weight . . . I assume they were home made. Do folks still go this route?

Do folks still go this route?

Yep - but around here it is usually a drum filled with cement and a rod stuck through it for the 3 point to hitch up to.

My ballast box is actually a steel box full of concrete. Works nice, as I sunk four 3" PVC tubes in it for carrying lawn tools. The advantage of the iron ballast is size, since iron has higher density than concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.