Now THIS is a TREE!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure hope that trailer had working brakes, especially with a Cierra in front of it.

What a tree! That thing would keep me happy for days! I want to see you guys crack those 70" rounds. Sledge & Wedge?

Reactions: smokinj
the measurement is at waist height. The tree did have some bell to it.

Awesome clean tree for that size very hard to find them like this one! Great score. Is the new pic's the same tree?

Sure hope that trailer had working brakes, especially with a Cierra in front of it...I want to see you guys crack those 70" rounds. Sledge & Wedge?
Trailer brakes? Uh, no, but it doesn't go far from home and I'm creeping along on side roads when I have it loaded. I should probably go ahead and replace the Ciera with a truck.
Judging by how easily I was able to split some 24" rounds with the 8# maul, I think the big ones could be split with a sledge and a couple wedges. I've split plenty of dead Oak...that fresh-cut live stuff was easy, the straight-grained wood anyway.
Awesome clean tree for that size very hard to find them like this one! Great score. Is the new pic's the same tree?
The last pics are woodmaster's Oak from last year. Don't remember offhand what kind of Oak it was. Not as clean as the big Pin here, but not too bad from the look of it. I've had some sizeable Red/Black that have fallen or blown down here, and the core is sometimes gone all the way up the trunk.

Woody, the nice thing about a wood-hauler like mine ('89 C3500 2WD) is that they're cheap to buy, and I can move 1 cord of wood in the bed with ease. Sure the MPG is awful but I don't drive this thing to work (much). It runs to haul wood or make $$, that's it. And if you want to get serious about hauling wood , the trailering capacity is unmatched by any SUV or car. Truck like mine you should be able to locate for under 3k in mechanically sound/visually presentable condition. Half-tons and 3/4 tons are far more common so even less $$ and they are often 4x4 too for those not so easy scrounges. Just not so much bed capacity so you'll rely on a trailer more.

Don't be afraid of big rounds. They usually aren't any harder to split than the smaller ones, they are just harder to move around. You also get to work on the same round for a while so there's less bending to grab and set the next one.

Don't be afraid of big rounds. They usually aren't any harder to split than the smaller ones, they are just harder to move around. You also get to work on the same round for a while so there's less bending to grab and set the next one.

+1

Just work them from the outside in...don't try to be a hero and split a 70" round down the middle...you may be able to do it, but that's a mighty tall order for a 4" impact point...no matter how much it weighs or how fast it is moving....to crack 70" of oak.

Got the trailer unloaded. Since the BL has a greenish cast, I thought that beer in a green bottle would be the way to go...>>...so I broke into the stash of Stellas that my neighbor gave me the other day. There's the yaller Mulberry leaning against the pile of Oak and Ash that's leaning against the Pine.
002-22.jpg

This is the last time I dredge this thread back up...promise! ;lol But it's slowing down in the ol' Wood Shed and I thought maybe all the wood nuts out there (like me) might enjoy a pic. This is the BL I got the other day, split and stacked. Looks to be a bit more than half a cord. Added to the Oak I got, probably a little over a cord total. Not a lot but it adds up. A few baby skeeters and gnats were chewing me but I can't fault them for that. ;lol The undergrowth and the ivy is really thick in there until it gets drier in the heat of Summer. Wind and sun? No, this stack won't be getting much. What it will get is time. :cool:
001-26.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.