nozzle repaire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodsmaster

Minister of Fire
Jan 25, 2010
N.W. Ohio
100_6190.JPG With an idea stolen from goosegunner I repaired my nozzle. I forgot to put the memory card in the camera for the before picture and I can't find the cord so no before pictures. I got the pre mixsd refractory cement from menards. I did this repaire about a week ago and it is holding up great so far.
100_6187.JPGView attachment 63453View attachment 63453View attachment 63453

Also fixed a crack in the lower refractory.100_6188.JPG

Nice work Woodsmaster. How much wood have you burned through that boiler to get to the point where you needed the repair?

I've burnt around 16 full cord

I assume thats two heating. Is that about the normal life expectancy?

I don't Know what the life expectancy is suppost to be. I feel pretty confident I can get at least another 8 cord out of it now, hopefully more.

Glad it is working out so far. Mine has held great since January. Hopefully a little touch up now and then will really stretch out the use of the nozzle.

I still would like to come up with some type of metal plate like the Froling. That way the opening would stay a consistent size and shape.

gg

Glad it is working out so far. Mine has held great since January. Hopefully a little touch up now and then will really stretch out the use of the nozzle.

I still would like to come up with some type of metal plate like the Froling. That way the opening would stay a consistent size and shape.

gg
Hmmm,

Wondering if you could use a firebrick, like Fred61 did, with a new nozzle it might protect the nozzle from most of the erosion? Or maybe put a steel plate with the appropriate slot size, between them to further protect the nozzle. That way new users would extend the life of their nozzle! Fire brick is cheap.

Hmmm,

Wondering if you could use a firebrick, like Fred61 did, with a new nozzle it might protect the nozzle from most of the erosion? Or maybe put a steel plate with the appropriate slot size, between them to further protect the nozzle. That way new users would extend the life of their nozzle! Fire brick is cheap.

I was still considering an overlay. I will see how thist patch wears and maybe do an overlay one of these days.

Just be careful if you are using steel, especially in applications such as in the Wood Gun where the steel is bracketed by refractory. Be sure you have a loose fit between the steel and the refractory because the coefficient of thermal expansion of steel is very high in relation to the refractory. You could fracture your fire box.

Reactions: woodsmaster
I think a brick overlay will help extend the life of a new nozzle and it's worth installing. It only took me 7 minutes to mark, clamp and cut out my overlay from start to finish. It took me 30 minutes to figure out how to fold up that Black & Decker clamping horse and put it away.

Reactions: woodsmaster
Status
Not open for further replies.