Nps45 will not shut down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

robalp

Mar 1, 2010
Hunterdon County NJ
My NPS45 just stopped working a few weeks ago after shutting down to clean it out. Just would not ignite. I just got the igniter and replaced it. It now ignites, but it won't shut down when I turn it off. It just continues to run. The manual said to disconnect the exhaust temp sensor, which I did, but it still runs. It then says contact the dealer.
Not sure what to do next, (not interested in contacting the local dealer who seems to know less than I do...)? I am also wondering if it is ok to run it and just shut it down by unplugging it (just till I solve the problem, I hate to miss out on even more winter heating)?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Rob

Better bet would be to install an in-line GFI or something similar, and then trip the GFI. Unplugging while you are running can cause the motors to generate Back EMF (Voltage spike). If you remove the cord, you remove the ground connection to dump the spike. By tripping the breaker or GFI, you maintain the ground and neutral connection. Better for your circuit board.

Surge protectors are what we tell all our customers to install on their pellet stoves. Sounds like your local dealer didnt fill ya in when you bought it from them.

Franks said:
Surge protectors are what we tell all our customers to install on their pellet stoves. Sounds like your local dealer didnt fill ya in when you bought it from them.

I have a surge protector on the stove, so I should have been more clear when I asked if it was ok to "unplug the stove" as a temp sollution to my problem. What I should have said was is it ok to run the stove, and then turn it off by turning off the surge protector as a temp sollution so that I can use the stove? Will this damage the stove in any way?
I did not buy from a local dealer, I found the stove hear on the site in the for sale section used... I have tried the local dealer for parts and advice, but they have no experience with the stove although they are a Napoleon dealer. They have not been much help.

Thanks

Unplugging the stove can present a couple of problems:

The first is smoke back into the room. This will happen if there isn't enough draft through the stove when the exhaust fan stops.

The second is that if there is enough fuel in the burn pot you might trip a high limit and have fun trying to figure out why the stove doesn't work when you plug it back in and fire it up.

If you were to empty the hopper and let the stove run out of fuel you would prevent the above from happening. Then you could pull the plug.

Sounds like you should get the controls replaced on that stove.

also, try calling napoleon directly, there's a phone number for customer service in the manual.

Status
Not open for further replies.