Nut and bolt for surround

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

martel

Feb 9, 2006
Wow... I am realizing how long it has been since I last posted. Hello to all you old timers and welcome to the newcomers this season!! (I did get a bit nervous when I saw a thread sometime ago concerning removing non-posters from the roll- (don't you dare craig!!)

So, its been a good but busy winter. I heat my 1902 Tudor style home with regency 2400i. Sadly, it only supplements heat on this old drafty brick bohemoth (and yes begreen I have put 10 tubes of caulking into this baby since I joined hearthnet!!). This winter our boiler went during the big freeze and the regency was on its own. The boiler was down for six days (everyone in the county must have been having problems) and I can't image what we would have done sans woodstove!

Now onto the question:
I am finally making it a priority to get a blockoff plate on to keep more heat in the house (and yes, as Elk probably remembers I have a full SS liner!)...

Anywho, I was taking off the custom surround that my stove guy built and I broke one of the bolts. It seems this would be an easy replacement, but wondering on a stove application is there a special type of bolt I should get? Is there a heat sensitive issue? The bolts actually look like they may be brass (would this make sense?). Should I just go to the big orange box and buy one of similar size?

Thanks for all the help- hope you're all well.
krm

Welcome back I told you so some will not believe me about the block off plate. took you a year to figure it out oh well too much heat lost aye?

Just to let you know how good my memory is tell me about Sidney Crosby

A standard grade bolt from the local hardware store should do fine - if you want to get fancy, you could go for Stainless, but probably not needed.

If it snapped because of corrosion, you might want to look at why- corrosion shouldn't be much of an issue in a dry environment.

I also like to put silver Neversieze on any bolt threads unless I have a reason NOT to... I find it helps prevent problems in just about every situation. (It even STOPS corrosion on car battery terminals!) but I've never had a properly torqued fastener come loose that was never seized.

Gooserider

Thanks guys! Elk- I would never question your memory!! Especially reading stories of past disasters you recount.

Not that you didn't convince me, more like it is taking me a year to "get to it". I have had a very busy winter with school, teaching and being a mostly full time dad. I don't want to think how much heat I have allowed to escape from putting off this 1 hour job. Live and learn.

I will toss some neversieze on there. This isn't a problem on a hot application, right?

edit: no gooserider, no corrosion.

I would allot myself more time than an hour. Prepare for the worse, that way if it is not so bad, its a bonus :)

roger that.

martel said:
Thanks guys! Elk- I would never question your memory!! Especially reading stories of past disasters you recount.

Not that you didn't convince me, more like it is taking me a year to "get to it". I have had a very busy winter with school, teaching and being a mostly full time dad. I don't want to think how much heat I have allowed to escape from putting off this 1 hour job. Live and learn.

I will toss some neversieze on there. This isn't a problem on a hot application, right?

edit: no gooserider, no corrosion.

I use it on the exhaust manifolds on my bike along with other exhaust junctions, and it holds up ok, I forget the rating listed on the can but it's pretty high, so there should be no problem - might get a bit of smoke off it when you first start up, but nothing lasting.

The only downside I've ever seen with Neversieze is that its MESSY... lt seems to want to spread all over the place and it will transfer from tools to everything else. It doesn't wash off easily either.... I still think it's worth it, but some folks worry more about appearances than I do.

Glad to hear there is no corrosion, but why did the bolt fail then? Unless it was a casualty of "over enthusiastic wrench" syndrome, bolts shouldn't break, so it's worth looking at least a little at why...

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.