NW Georgia Wood ID 1

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregon Bigfoot

Feeling the Heat
May 21, 2011
Northwest Oregon
We left the Pacific Northwest to visit our daughter and son-in-law in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia last week. This was my first visit to Georgia, and we had a great time! He has a few trees on his property he is unsure what they are, and would like to know from the hearth.com "experts". Of course, I have no clue how to identify trees I have not seen before. I'll put up a few tree ID's and see what you think. I'll guess on a couple too, but I am totally unsure.

First two pics are these, the same standing dead tree, in a bunch of three standing deads, but they looked the same to me:

Attachments

• DSCN2354.jpg
    DSCN2354.jpg
    163.5 KB · Views: 335
  • DSCN2356.jpg
    DSCN2356.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 327
Looks like pine(loblolly) probably done in by the pine beetle.

My guess is some kind of Oak.

I think the larger tree looks like a pine. The one on the right looks different - perhaps a long-dead White Oak? Hard to say.

This one is harder to tell, the sunlight is causing the bark to look lighter.
I'd say dead sweetgum.
Possibly beetle kill pine, but if standing for any length of time it's probably longleaf, not loblolly.

I almost forgot about a "scrounge" waiting on his new property! He does not have a woodstove, so I guess this will sit there a while. What kind of wood is this downed tree? I can't tell at all. It's not a good pic. It's about 70' feet long, the picture makes it look like a twig, but its pretty big.

He also has a very tall sweet gum tree in his front yard he wants gone. There you have it, a nice scrounge or two. Three standing deads, a tree already on the ground, and a standing sweet gum, right in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia. Go get it!

Attachments

• DSCN2367.jpg
    DSCN2367.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 161
Status
Not open for further replies.