NW Georgia Wood ID 3

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oregon Bigfoot

Feeling the Heat
May 21, 2011
Northwest Oregon
Is this a cherry?

Attachments

• DSCN2359.jpg
    DSCN2359.jpg
    203.3 KB · Views: 384
Looks like white birch?

Could be a pin(choke) Cherry. It is not a Black Cherry.

nrford said:
Could be a pin(choke) Cherry. It is not a Black Cherry.

This picture looks more like a birch than a cherry. There are a few cherries with peely bark that has horizontal marks like this tree, but those cherries usually have a reddish color to the bark, not white.

The shrub on the left appears to be Callery Pear. The small branches in front of the birch trunk are from the shrub, right?

From the scaring looks like cherry. I've cut several around here that have carpenter ants 30' up the pith.
Lived in this area for 6yrs and have never seen any wild birch, white(paper) or peppermint.
Occasionaly see a white birch but only in landscaping.

BASOD said:
Lived in this area for 6yrs and have never seen any wild birch,
Looks like you're in the natural range of River Birch...

Woody Stover said:
BASOD said:

All the river birch I've seen are very scaly with peeling bark and darker (also small, but not sure how large river birch get). If the tree were here, I'd guess gray birch. Cheers!

Woody Stover said:
BASOD said:
Yep, forgot about the river birch.
I have a few small ~4" trees at top of driveway.
The draws around me are predominately populated by beech, walnut and sycamore.

This is a known pin cherry (fire cherry) from our farm. Note the characteristics of its horizontal lenticels:

pincherry2.jpg

pincherry4.jpg

Note the orange color peeking through the outer skin.

pincherrytrunk3.jpg

For the tree in question, I'd say it's not pin cherry.

(Aside: pin cherry is not the same species as chokecherry.)

gzecc said:
Looks like white birch?

I don't think this is a white birch, we have those here in Oregon. Maybe its a black birch? The picture is much lighter than in actual life, probably because I used a flash. The bark is more darker gray color. But it didn't quite look like a cherry tree. My next door neighbor has a white birch, and the neighbor behind me has a black cherry, and its not either of those.

Wood Duck said:
This picture looks more like a birch than a cherry. There are a few cherries with peely bark that has horizontal marks like this tree, but those cherries usually have a reddish color to the bark, not white.

The shrub on the left appears to be Callery Pear. The small branches in front of the birch trunk are from the shrub, right?

Yes, the small branches in front are from the other tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.