NYC building code?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bronxonian

Dec 13, 2007
Bronx
Anybody know N.Y.C. building code for a corn or pellet stove? Thinking about buying one and looking for any advice I can get? I'm in the Throgs Neck area?
Thanks Frank

bronxonian said:
Anybody know N.Y.C. building code for a corn or pellet stove? Thinking about buying one and looking for any advice I can get? I'm in the Throgs Neck area?
Thanks Frank

I don't live in NYC but I bet you that your Hearth dealer will know that answer.
Look on line or the ever popular yellow book.

Good Luck!

NYC definitely has some of their own, but I doubt they relate to pellet or corn stoves...probably OK within clearances.....

Actually, NYC? I think there are these green pieces of paper with Presidents names on them that have been known to get accurate results in code interpretation there!

(a joke, a joke)....at least it was that way in Philadelphia....the building dept there was something that you never wanted to try to wade your way through!

Anyway, the enclosed from the NYC mechanical code may cover it....

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 523
NYC Building codes require pellet stoves with MEA numbers, Thelin has a stove that is approved for the City of NY, also you need a Architect to produce drawings, who hires a expediter to file the plans,Then a permit is issued, Then you hire a license installer to install it. the Architect will inspect it to make sure it is installed correctly, which is according to manufactured specs, plus other NYC requirements, you have to have out side air, it can direct vent out the side of the house but it has to 10Ft. from the building line, then the building dept. will send a inspector to sign off, once everything is approved the expediter goes back to the building department with all the listed requirements and the process starts, if you have everything they will issue a new Cert of occupancy, does this sound complicated and costly!!!!!

All 5 borough's fall under the NYC building Dept. jurisdiction,, the comment about paying off people probably still happens in some cases, but with all the new construction going on here, the Building department has started to clean up their act. I found out all this after I purchased my stove, I wish I found this web site before.
Every installer including the place that I bought the stove said why are you filing it just follow the directions and do it yourself. Frank I live in Throgs Neck (Locust Point)

Status
Not open for further replies.