NYC Central Park Downed Trees (600+)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm watching the news this morning, 8/21. NYC's central park has had over 600 mature trees knocked down/uprooted from recent storm. City stated that ALL the trees are being chipped! They are all splintered and just beyond any value. (?)

From what I just saw briefly on the clip, I would have to differ...in a HUGE way. Can't believe it.

(I'm sure there are other reasons for them being chipped. They can't have all these individuals coming in there and cutting them up and salvaging. Insurance factors, time and such....tremendous waste)

Just had to get that off my chest.

Huh, I always had the picture in mind that Central Park was full of people carrying chainsaws around, wearing strange PPE like hockey masks and such.

I saw the report the day it happened. I contemplated (just for a second) bringing in my trailer and getting some wood. I'm 40 miles away. You guys know what I mean!

Yeap.....I can say I had the same thoughts too.

a full load in the trailer over those 40 miles and you would likely need a brake job.

SolarAndWood said:
a full load in the trailer over those 40 miles and you would likely need a brake job.

I certainly hope not. If thats the case, brake places would be constantly filled with trailer brake jobs.

I use a 14K pound dump trailer (~5 years old) Still is on original brakes. Trailer gets loaded with all sorts of material...stone, dirt, logs, fill etc etc. It gets is fair share of full loads. Truck that pulls it, is in good working order too.

SolarAndWood said:

Why?? I have seen this posted many-o-times and still can't get it through my head. I have a 5 x10' trailer that will hold an honest 3000 pounds of firewood, I pull a boat almost every weekend that is in the 2500# range. And I am talking a round trip of 180 miles. Neither trailer has brakes and is being pulled by either a Jeep Grand Cherokee or a Dodge Ram 1500. I have never had any problems with eating up brakes. Oh - the 180 mile round trip includes about 30 miles of some VERY hilly terrain with mega curves to deal with.

I am just not getting the picture of why a properly loaded and towed trailer is gonna cause immediate harm to your brakes.

Is it 40 miles of stop and go traffic that I am not picturing here?? Help me out. 40 miles ain't nuttin to my tow vehicles.

Edit: JJ - ya got me by one second. %-P

Jags said:
Is it 40 miles of stop and go traffic that I am not picturing here?? Help me out. 40 miles ain't nuttin to my tow vehicles.

That is what does it to me. My brakes get hot going across Manhattan even without a trailer. As opposed to the 180 mile roundtrip runs to the camp in the Adirondacks with a fully loaded trailer without them even getting warm.

SolarAndWood said:
Jags said:

That is what does it to me. My brakes get hot going across Manhattan even without a trailer. As opposed to the 180 mile roundtrip runs to the camp in the Adirondacks with a fully loaded trailer without them even getting warm.

I have to ask...does your trailer have electric brakes? If so, I think your module in your tow vehicle has them set too strong. Back them off,...way off.

SolarAndWood said:
Jags said:

I'll buy that.

SolarAndWood said:
Jags said:

My temper gets even hotter than my brakes on the HH Pkway and GW bridge!

There are also some pretty big ones down in Riverside Park. I've been salivating over them all week! Going up and the HH Parkway. Imagine the bueracracy you would have to go through to get any of that wood on your trailer.
I drive my car up and down the HH parkway every day as part of my 84 mile round trip commute. I'm at nearly 70,000 miles on the original brakes! I only use the brakes when I absolutely have to. :coolsmile:

I agree. I heard they were chipping 100+ year old elm trees. What a waste of good wood. I am only 30 miles away, but probably 500,000,000 miles of red tape away :down:

Status
Not open for further replies.