NYS DEC Part 247 Regulations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Frozen Canuck said:
So at the end of it all I guess all of the OWB owners (me included) will have to step up to the plate & invest in cleaner burning units, some of us sooner than we had thought or planned, that is fair as we are the ones who bought & operated dirty units & caused this problem in the first place, so we should be prepared to take it on the chin when everyone else says enough is enough.

In the best of all possible worlds (which does not exist), those manufacturers who sold tens of millions of dollars worth of the things would have to chip in and allow you to upgrade cheap....share the pain a bit.

On the other hand, a very efficient unit in the USA might get the 30% federal tax credit and do even better when and if the new Home Star Energy thingy passes.

Please take my insider word in this - the OWB loophole was VERY intentionally taken advantage of by the makers.......this is not an issue that was win-win-win, but more of an issue of "I see an opening to make money by skirting the spirit of safety and air pollution regulations".

Another interesting FYI. In the earlier time of OWB, you would be very luck to get more than 7 years out of a unit without a lot of leaking and in many cases replacement. I'm sure units have improved and people got smarter about water treatments, etc. - but still 10 years is a valid lifespan considering the history.

Webmaster said:
Frozen Canuck said:
So at the end of it all I guess all of the OWB owners (me included) will have to step up to the plate & invest in cleaner burning units, some of us sooner than we had thought or planned, that is fair as we are the ones who bought & operated dirty units & caused this problem in the first place, so we should be prepared to take it on the chin when everyone else says enough is enough.

In the best of all possible worlds (which does not exist), those manufacturers who sold tens of millions of dollars worth of the things would have to chip in and allow you to upgrade cheap....share the pain a bit.

On the other hand, a very efficient unit in the USA might get the 30% federal tax credit and do even better when and if the new Home Star Energy thingy passes.

Please take my insider word in this - the OWB loophole was VERY intentionally taken advantage of by the makers.......this is not an issue that was win-win-win, but more of an issue of "I see an opening to make money by skirting the spirit of safety and air pollution regulations".

Another interesting FYI. In the earlier time of OWB, you would be very luck to get more than 7 years out of a unit without a lot of leaking and in many cases replacement. I'm sure units have improved and people got smarter about water treatments, etc. - but still 10 years is a valid lifespan considering the history.

I agree that it was an act with intent. However I & many others did not do the research necessary to find a better way, so soon it will be time to face the music, I dont have a problem with that, as I being one that has caused the problem should face the consequences of that action. Pretty straight forward cause & effect in my book.

Leaddog: Govt is the same here, rarely rational. React far more than act. Usually in an over the top manner. However if I & others were not burning dirty then they would be happy to sit on the sidelines. You see I & others have given them something to react to & we should all know that it usually ends badly for us in that situation.

Frozen Canuck said:
Well here we all are again only a few months after plenty of discussion in other related threads on this topic. Some of us singing the same song about "freedom" to do as we please, where we please & when we please & to heck with everyone else. That's the "American" way, some of us say.

Well turns out that not everyone agrees, esp. those who have to breathe the air fouled by dirty wood burners (that would include me as I own an OWB) & yes I am concious of my neighbors right to clean air. Sad fact is though that I cannot control the wind & everytime the wind shifts & they are downwind of my OWB I am fouling their air & they have a valid concern in my opinion.

My nearest neighbor is 2-3 miles away, so it is far less of a concern than most units being discussed here but is still a problem. That is what brought me to this sight, I need a solution to this problem & I dont feel another OWB is the solution.

Seems some or most in NY state feel the same as it appears that they are ready to cast a very wide net.

I feel that most of us are misunderstanding the intent of this net. The net is intended not to eliminate all wood burners, just the dirty ones, esp. all of the OWB's as this is where the majority of complaints are aimed & that is what they are sick & tired of (the complaints).

So they have designed a net that will catch all OWB's & yes it will get other units too, but from their viewpoint it is far more important to get all the OWB's. You see that is the target, the OWB's. After all these years of complaints & all the videos on the www. showing one of these OWB's smoking away they just want to be done with them, all of them not some or even most.

That is why the net is built in the manner proposed, to catch all OWB's, not some or even most but all, 100%. They intend to deal with the majority of the complaints they receive in a total, complete & final way.

As they proceed with elimination of 100% of the OWB's they will, as I have said catch other units in their net. These units if they are gasifiers & are operated with storage allowing for a complete burn everytime will be of little concern to them as they have much bigger fish to catch, why waste your time with small fish when there are so many large ones to catch?

Think of it as a catch & release program (just like fishing you cant keep the small ones) as a properly operated gasifier will be far too low on the pollution scale to be bothered with in comparison to the OWB's & the owner of a properly operated gasifier will be able to back up their claim of burning cleaner with a simple flue gas test when needed.

You don't even know if your nearest neighbor is 2 miles away or 3 miles away? Yet, you say your boiler is fouling their air?!! And it's your fault?
Your stories reek of BS. I don't know for real how many other screen names you type your anti- US boiler 'stories' for, but this frozen canuck 'character'
is less believable than Shrek.
C'mon, you guys are going to have to do better than this one.

USA-1 said:
Your stories reek of BS. I don't know for real how many other screen names you type your anti- US boiler 'stories' for, but this frozen canuck 'character'

Strike two, USA..........third is the charm.

Sorry to say, but you are the troll - probably financially involved. If you had just a bit of smarts, you could have looked back through the last year of Canucks posts and seen where he is from and what he has....no BS.

Strike two - my delete button finger is itching, itching, itching...

BTW, why is someone from NH so worried about NYS regs?

Webmaster said:
USA-1 said:

Strike two, USA..........third is the charm.

Sorry to say, but you are the troll - probably financially involved. If you had just a bit of smarts, you could have looked back through the last year of Canucks posts and seen where he is from and what he has....no BS.

Strike two - my delete button finger is itching, itching, itching...

BTW, why is someone from NH so worried about NYS regs?

Why not just let him go at it the way he has been?

100 responsible gaser owner/operators could not convince people to move away from OWB's as fast as he can with the way he chooses to behave, gives everyone an inside look at the OWB industry (as that is what he represents) he also gives everyone a good idea of how much they should believe when near an OWB salesperson. IMHO. Good eye opener for anyone considering an OWB. He alone is reason enough to turn & run the other way, preferably to a reputable gaser dealer/salesperson.......but away from the OWB for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.