1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

NYS thruway trees

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by jj3500, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jj3500

jj3500 Member

Loc:
    Orange County, N.Y. Southeast corner.
    Driving today on above road. I noticed on the southbound lane just south of exit 17. Crews of tree trimmers going to town on the shouldering growth. They cut all the larger taller growth on a 45 degree slash. Does this mean anything? Or is this just how trees are trimmed. You can see for about a mile all these white dots which are the fresh cut 45 degree slashes up in the tree line.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    It means the state of NY is out of money for blacktop and their crews are doin' the next best thing. NOT!!!!!!!!!!
  3. billb3

billb3 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE Mass
    Local road crew bought a (huge) machine to replace all those guys.
    It is quick.
    It makes an unsightly mess.

People complained so bad about torn fiber hanging from everything they had to send a crew of guys out to pretty it up.

they used to cut the big stuff out along the highways here, too.
    I always figured it was so those going off the road hit smaller trees and slowed down rather than stopped. Less loss of life.
    Now they cut everything.
  4. SolarAndWood

SolarAndWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Syracuse NY
    They were using an excavator to clear the edges of the Thruway between Syracuse and Rochester this spring. I wonder where all those BTUs go...
  5. flyingcow

flyingcow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    northern-half of maine
    There was a 60 mile stretch of "trimming" done up here in the last couple of years. it involved multiple fellerbunchers, grapples, and a few huge whole tree chippers. All along I-95. Chipped into hog fuel/biomass. Quite a site. More to do yet. They've also been grinding the stumps down afterwords. Trying to open the right of way up, so we can spot the moose and deer. For the most part, waste of time and money.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.