NYS thruway trees

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Driving today on above road. I noticed on the southbound lane just south of exit 17. Crews of tree trimmers going to town on the shouldering growth. They cut all the larger taller growth on a 45 degree slash. Does this mean anything? Or is this just how trees are trimmed. You can see for about a mile all these white dots which are the fresh cut 45 degree slashes up in the tree line.

Local road crew bought a (huge) machine to replace all those guys.
It is quick.
It makes an unsightly mess.

People complained so bad about torn fiber hanging from everything they had to send a crew of guys out to pretty it up.

they used to cut the big stuff out along the highways here, too.
I always figured it was so those going off the road hit smaller trees and slowed down rather than stopped. Less loss of life.
Now they cut everything.

They were using an excavator to clear the edges of the Thruway between Syracuse and Rochester this spring. I wonder where all those BTUs go...

There was a 60 mile stretch of "trimming" done up here in the last couple of years. it involved multiple fellerbunchers, grapples, and a few huge whole tree chippers. All along I-95. Chipped into hog fuel/biomass. Quite a site. More to do yet. They've also been grinding the stumps down afterwords. Trying to open the right of way up, so we can spot the moose and deer. For the most part, waste of time and money.

Status
Not open for further replies.