O.A.K. when the stove is not in use.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fespo

Minister of Fire
Dec 14, 2005
South West burbs of Chicago
Hello all, now that i have my pellet stove installed with an O A K what happens when your not using that stove. I was checking out my pellet stove tonight looking for my smoke problem (other post) and I could feel the cold/cool air on the air intake and even the vent pipe was cool. Now I plan on using this stove on cool days like today or the bitter cold days. I was just thinking how much heat I will be losing with extra holes in my north west wall. Im starting to wonder if it is even going to be worth it? My house is not new, Its about 30 years old and does have its share of fresh air coming in. Even though all the windows and doors have been replaced and extra insulation in th attic. I do have a celler in the basement with it own fresh air in take. So let me hear your thoughts on this Thanks Fespo

Could probably install a damper on it close to the wall, or on the outside with a throttle cable. Although if you forget to open it I don't think the stove would be happy and since the pellet units are often automated that might not be a good idea.

hmmmm...
i might need to think about that one. maybe an insulator on the flex pipe...

i'll toss that one around a bit and see what i can come up with. im not sure a butterfly would be a good ides as forgetting to open it could cause a problem with the fire "ya think?" chuckle , good call up there on that. im thinking a non-flammable wrap for the intake pipe , similar to the sleeve around a chimney liner, just not so cumbersome.. whadaya think?

^^^^ What I said above about the cellar only applies if that room isn't sealed off from the rest of the house. If the cellar IS sealed off, you'll need to add an air passage between the cellar and the rest of the house.

Too bad there wasn't something like an inline barometric damper that could open with the slightest hint of pressure. That way while not in use it could stay closed and help with cool drafts.

Jimbob said:
Since you do have a celler in the basement with it own fresh air intake, I would be tempted to think that's good enough, probably not necessary to have a seperate one for the stove. Unless code says something different.

Here's a good article on outside air supplies:

http://www.woodheat.org/outdoorair/outdoorairmyth.htm

IIRC, Mike has said in the past that the OAK is an absolute requirement with the Englander Pellet Stoves as that is how they are tested and listed.

A damper on the OAK might not be a bad idea if there were some way to "dummy-proof" it so that either you couldn't turn the stove on without opening the damper, or if the damper got automatically opened by the stove in some way. I also think the idea of insulating the OAK pipe in some way is a good one, even with the damper - why have what amounts to an air cooling heat exchanger running through the room if you don't have to?

I'm not sure if it would meet the Englander requirements, but it does occur to me that in the OP's case where he says the basement is ventilated, whether running the OAK into the basement instead of straight out the wall might give slightly better results.

Gooserider

Status
Not open for further replies.