OAk and T stat ???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 20, 2011
North east PA
My Basement installed P68 is meeting all my expectation and am now only using oil for H2O. Now I will start to get more efficiency out of it and cut my pellet consumption if that is possible. I have installed a t stat up stares thanks to reading this sight.Now I want to put in an out side air kit. I have a stone basement. So boring a 3" or 4" hole is not a good option.I have a old window opening that had been blocked up some time ago. It is to the left and above the stove. Is there any reason not to use the steel dryer type venting or some type of home brewed thing. as long as it is tight to the stove so it is not sucking air from the room? Looks in the basement is not important.I would have to keep the snow clear from the out side hood because it would be close to ground level. I would have to remove the flapper and add screening to it. The flapper is meant to push air out not suck air in so I would have to remove that.I do not want it to go up the out side wall in height because of curb appeal. So is a Gounod level 6" to a foot OK.
Next question is on T stats. I have an insulated 8" steel duct mounted to 1/2 of the front of the stove moving convection air 20' to a floor register ( old farm house) to the living room and it works well. I have an 8" transfer fan in the duct. I want to put a T stat to it.So When the stove is kicking the fan helps a lot. But when the stove is puttering the fan does more harm then good. I have taken the IR gun readings of 215 to to 230 at the outlet when the stove is rocking. If I could hook a t stat in the duct so the fan would turn on at say 150 it would be the best of both worlds.So is this a doable thing and if so how would you wire it up and what type of stat am I looking for? The basement temp stays around 73 to 75 which keeps the rest of the first floor 68 and the second floor 65 or 66.I am also considering gluing the water proof Dowel insulation on to the stone walls some time this year. The basement at severe times could get an inch or so of water in it during spring melt along with heavy rain . Not all the time but it does happen every couple of years.
Thanks for any help.

As for the OAK. They make cheap 3" rigid Dryer vent and it will work good. May have to reduce it at the stove. But its sold at HD, Lowes, Etc..

The stat I have no experience with in-line fans...

The flooding... If you have an adjustable piece of vent, you could put some pavers underneath the stove to raise it up?

I own a Truevalue hardware store.So Home Depot/Lowes and Wall mart are dirty words to me.So getting just the right parts Or a complete OAK kit is not a problem. For what comes in most kits I can use other cheaper things as it is not in my living room. The stove will not get wet as it is on a raised 3" slab from when the wood stove was in its place. My concern is the vent being to close to the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.