Oak Cactus!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatbedford

Minister of Fire
Mar 17, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
I cut this downed Red Oak a couple weeks ago. It came down in the "big storm" back in February. As I was cutting about 6' from the stump, water started pouring out of it! Gushing even. The water poured long enough for me to put down the saw, take out my phone and snap a picture. It scared the crap out of me when a spray of water was flying with the chips. Turned out that the bottom of the tree was hollow. It must have been full of rain water.
05131014232.jpg

Flatbedford said:
I cut this downed Red Oak a couple weeks ago. It came down in the "big storm" back in February. As I was cutting about 6' from the stump, water started pouring out of it! Gushing even. The water poured long enough for me to put down the saw, take out my phone and snap a picture. It scared the crap out of me when a spray of water was flying with the chips. Turned out that the bottom of the tree was hollow. It must have been full of rain water.
05131014232.jpg

OMG! That's not water, that's the bourbon I was aging in there.

It's just a sign the wood is ready to burn already! lol

I had a similar experience with some maples I took down earlier this month. They were healthy trees though.

Matt

You should use the moisture meter on that bad boy.

Flatbed, it happened to me once when I was up on a ladder cutting a partially rotten branch. Water flowed out of the cut and hit me. My initial thoughts were blood, I was glad to see it was clear. My branch had an old wound that water must has flowed into.

Status
Not open for further replies.