Oak Cure

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 17, 2011
central Texas
Since joining this forum about a month ago I have noticed many threads that contain comments about oak not drying quickly. I split a dead post oak tree last March and the splits endured the windiest spring, and warmest, in recent memory not to mention consistent days of 100* plus in most of June, almost all of July, and a good portion of August. All exposed to sun and wind in the stack. Also, I split a hickory in June--it too was dead.

I am starting this thread because the oak and hickory are showing moisture reading of 6-12% (HF meter) depending on the size of the split. The color looks like well seasoned wood ought to look, but when you keep reading about oak needing to lay out for two or three years that caused me to start this thread. Is it just dead trees plus the long summer that greatly accelerated the process, or is the meter off?

FYI, the burn looks clean and I have no real problems with the sizzle or smoke since I have started to figure out how to use my stove.

Thanks.

Glad you survived the summer in Texas, hope you got some rain, I guess drying firewood is the only good thing that came out of the summer of 2011 for Texas.

My Oak in Va takes at least 2 full summers.

If your measurements are taken from a fresh split you are in good shape. I have no trouble believing oak can dry to the point you are seeing in the hot Texas sun. The 2 and 3 year drying times are more of a worst case scenario that can occur in milder and more humid climates like the north east (yours truly).

Most of the folks posting on the subject are trying to get the point across that you cannot assume that just because you split and stacked your oak a year ago it does not necessarily mean it's ready to burn not to mention the split it in fall burn it in winter crowd.

You live in texas and just had one of the dryest summers on record, Your oak has been in a kiln basically. Wish I had your summer drying conditions to offset our winter cold. Enjoy the btu's

scotvl said:
You live in texas and just had one of the dryest summers on record, Your oak has been in a kiln basically. Wish I had your summer drying conditions to offset our winter cold. Enjoy the btu's

And its been the opposite here, rainy and cloudy half the summer, definately not an ideal drying year, might have to add a third year for oak the I split this year.

G6 at Snook said:
Since joining this forum about a month ago I have noticed many threads that contain comments about oak not drying quickly. I split a dead post oak tree last March and the splits endured the windiest spring, and warmest, in recent memory not to mention consistent days of 100* plus in most of June, almost all of July, and a good portion of August. All exposed to sun and wind in the stack. Also, I split a hickory in June--it too was dead.

I am starting this thread because the oak and hickory are showing moisture reading of 6-12% (HF meter) depending on the size of the split. The color looks like well seasoned wood ought to look, but when you keep reading about oak needing to lay out for two or three years that caused me to start this thread. Is it just dead trees plus the long summer that greatly accelerated the process, or is the meter off?

FYI, the burn looks clean and I have no real problems with the sizzle or smoke since I have started to figure out how to use my stove.

Thanks.
Your results may vary, been burning mainly Oak for 3o years and it does not take me 3 years to get it dry.

My one year C/S/S oak (red and white) is checked and light. I tried some of it and it seems to be burning awesome. Not that I want to start a fire with a stove full of oak on a 56 degree day. I'll let my opinion be known next year as to the difference. I'm in the minority on this one. Maybe living in the mountains at 2300 feet above sea level with a lower humidity level helps?

Wood seasoning conditions vary a lot across the country, and so I am not surprised that wood drying times vary a lot too. Keep in mind that most of the people on this forum live in the northeast or midwest where we tend to have a lot more humidity and cooler temperatures than you had this summer. Oak does indeed seem to require a few years to really season well here, but I am not surprised it seasons a whole lot faster down there. Your problem is you don't get nearly as much cold weather, so you can't enjoy the oak quite the same way we do.

G6 at Snook said:

Thanks.

What you've read about oak is true but also realize that is mostly northern red or white oak that folks speak of. As we move west it seems the oaks do not take as long to dry and that is perhaps because there is not as much rain or humidity and more wind, etc. Most places in the east and even here in MI will take much longer to dry than it will further west.

The oak you are speaking of was already dead so that gives you a head start. The super dry Texas summer along with the heat over much longer time will certainly make a difference and I would not doubt that you could burn it this winter. After all, I cut a dead pin oak last spring and we intend to burn it this winter if at all possible and that will be a first for us.

So enjoy that dead post oak.

Good post
No doubt, location, location , location have allot to do with how fast wood dries.
-2°f here last night, a typical November in my area of Alaska. We don't have AC to turn on, we open a window on the few days it would be needed :)

G6 at Snook said:
Thanks for the replies. Right now we have the A/C on, and later in the week it might be different. A typical Texas November.

I hear ya brother... I just cant bring myself to turn the AC back on...even thou its
81 in the house right now...damn it.

scotvl said:
You live in texas and just had one of the dryest summers on record, Your oak has been in a kiln basically.

You should ship that oak and hickory up north as "Premium Kiln-Dried Hard Wood" and sell it for $200 / half-cord...

G6, was that measurement taken on the outside of a split in the stack? Or did you split a piece that's been sitting in the stack and measure the moisture on the fresh face?

pen

I pulled some chunks from the interior of the stack and measured the less weathered side. It registered the 11-12% numbers. I too thought that a log off the top would be a false check, but I was somewhat surprised to find the entire stack so dry. They are exposed to wind and sun, and are perched atop wooden pallets to facilitate wind passage.

Resplit a piece from the stack...and check the fresh cut face.....let us know what the reading is.........

Joey said:
Resplit a piece from the stack...and check the fresh cut face.....let us know what the reading is.........
A re-split probably won't yield 6-12% but I bet it could be 16%. Heck, I've got some dead standing Black Oak that was upper 20s MC, stacked and split at the end of May. I think the top 1/3 of that stack might have dried out enough, even in the higher humidity here. I haven't split and re-checked any yet but the wood toward the top seem pretty light and sounds dry when I knock the splits together. G6 had kiln-like conditions over the Summer and Post Oak, a White variety, should dry quicker than my stuff from the Red group...

Today is a rainy day so I will have to pick up the topic again after several days of sun and wind to dry out the stack. I picked up 1.15 inches early this morning, and we may have more on the way. It is the most rain we have had in a month or more likely two. That should put us in the 16 inches of rain for the year territory. If it was a normal year, we would have already received about 35-36 inches of rain by now. That is why trees are dying left and right. Especially the pin oaks and elms and some pecans.

Woody Stover said:
Joey said:
A re-split probably won't yield 6-12% but I bet it could be 16%. Heck, I've got some dead standing Black Oak that was upper 20s MC, stacked and split at the end of May. I think the top 1/3 of that stack might have dried out enough, even in the higher humidity here. I haven't split and re-checked any yet but the wood toward the top seem pretty light and sounds dry when I knock the splits together. G6 had kiln-like conditions over the Summer and Post Oak, a White variety, should dry quicker than my stuff from the Red group...

If I remember correctly my 1 year stacked red/black oak tested out to be in the mid 20's with my HFMM. We had a really hot summer, by Indiana standards, with lots of days in the 90's but there were many days where the dew point was in the upper 60's or low 70's...a few days in the 80's. That's a lot of moisture in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.