Oak dropped off in the yard.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gzecc

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2008
NNJ
I've often said, I wouldn't go out of my way for oak. It takes too long to season. Responded to a free CL ad. Guy delivered a p/u load of oak. Supposedly going to dropping off some more. Unfortunately its not split.

Attachments

• oak pile.jpg
    oak pile.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 153
Not split, but a great free score nonetheless.

What kind of Oak is that? Bark looks different from what I've seen here. Any leaves?

I've yet to figure out how to get split wood delivered for free either. Let him deliver some more and then you will have time to season it.

What kind of Oak is that? Bark looks different from what I've seen here. Any leaves?
Funny, I didn't question the species. These are upper branches. I'll ask him to bring some leaves if possible. Might not be able to because it came down in Sandy.

Funny, I didn't question the species. These are upper branches. I'll ask him to bring some leaves if possible. Might not be able to because it came down in Sandy.
Red oak. The crown branches are usually pretty smooth.

I might have guessed Maple, except for the rough bark on those big rounds...

I might have guessed Maple, except for the rough bark on those big rounds...
That big round is actually locust, left over from my last scrounge that hasn't been split yet.

Looked like you had to do some cutting to size.
You got to have some of the fun, with the load :)

Can't beat that free wood, especially when it's delivered to your house......;)
Oak to boot, too! Nice!

Reactions: Beer Belly
Looked like you had to do some cutting to size.
You got to have some of the fun, with the load :)
Yeah, some where 3-4' long. What a PITA having to buck and split!

Yeah, some where 3-4' long. What a PITA having to buck and split!

Yeah - I would tell him to quit delivering the free wood unless it comes already bucked and split. And...you might want to ask if he would stack it for you...that way you will be happy with the total transaction.:p ;lol

Yeah - I would tell him to quit delivering the free wood unless it comes already bucked and split. And...you might want to ask if he would stack it for you...that way you will be happy with the total transaction.:p ;lol
Too bad it will still need 2+ years to season!

I've often said, I wouldn't go out of my way for oak. It takes too long to season. Responded to a free CL ad. Guy delivered a p/u load of oak. Supposedly going to dropping off some more. Unfortunately its not split.

I been leaving the splitter by the dump site with fuel in it. They just cant seem to get it right.

Reactions: Jags
Looks like swamp maple to me and not oak.. Need to see a split..

Ray

I meant silver maple.. Oak is much better firewood for long burns and good btu's.. Silver maple dries fast and is very light when dry but low btu's, good for shoulder season and kindling..

Ray

There seems to be a mix of oak (saw a leaf) and some kind of maple. Please identify the maple.

Attachments

• maple question id.jpg
    maple question id.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 107
No fair posting that picture twice. But being as how you did, I'll give you a let down and say it is bass wood.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Status
Not open for further replies.