Oak dunnage- suitable for a Cat stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
I may have access to Oak 4x4's (dunnage), in 10' lengths. They are support timbers for steel, used during transport. I'm sure there will be some residual oils on the wood from the steel, but is this a major concern? I'm dieing to try some Oak in the BKK.
(might help to motivate me to split what I already have on hand.)

I'd jump all over that. I can't imagine there would be much in the way of significant oil on the surface. If there was it would burn off pretty quickly while you have the cat disengaged to get it fired up. I've burned these before but they were use for sewer line supports but they were oak and burned like oak, imagine that.... Actually now that I think about it I'm pretty sure they were 6x6's but it was a while ago and I burned them in my old 'dragon'

Someone posted a month or so ago and was burning the same stuff, said it was burning great, Id grab it.

I'm just concerned about possible damage to the CAT. I suppose the more visibly oily ones I can burn in the NC-13. The supply may turn out to be endless, as long as the company is in business.
I'm trying to figure out the weight also. What does a 4x4x10' chunk of Oak weigh?

Id jump on it for sure. Like you said, any real bad oil stained ones, burn in a non-cat.
Don't think your going to get many that oily though.
I bet they weigh as much as a wet 10' treated 4X4 or more.
Gonna have to wait a season or 2 to try them, gotta season that stuff 2 to 3 years (I've heard) . Allot longer than pine LOL :)
A great score !!:)

Online, what I'm seeing is dried Oak runs approx. 50-60lbs per cubic ft.. Sound correct? I'm crunching numbers to figure out what I can haul/tow (7000 lb. or so) per trip. If these figures are correct, I should be able to haul 100 + timbers per load, maxed out. How's that sound?

I worked as an ironworker for my friends construction company and can say if there are that many there will probably be some real clean wood there. There will also be plenty with toxic red iron paint on them but you can use those to stack wood on - including the clean ones. Also ask if they are erecting steel buildings to save the boards that steel deck is strapped to when shipped. They are often oak true 2x4 material that is 3+' long and stack real nice. My friend and I made a hardwood floor out of them and I have him collect them for me from job sites.

Status
Not open for further replies.