OAK exterior screen question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 12, 2012
Eastern Maine
Last winter I had and ice problem on the OAK louver screen and I broke the screen getting the ice off. Starting to think about heating season and replacing it and had a quick question. On the outside of the louver it says Maurice Franklin Louver Co so I searched the name and found this;
51rWhWlApTL.jpg
I'm thinking that this style (it is screened) may help with ice but my question is will it impede air flow? My sense is no, but wanted some opinions.
Here is the original broken one for comparison;
.jpg
Thanks for any thoughts --

Id say its too restrictive! And it would also ice over relatively easy, probably easier than the old one.

I have a elbow on mine so it faces the ground, eliminating all ice, snow & rain issues. And I cut a regular piece of 1/8" screen to fit inside to keep flying things out.

Id say its too restrictive! And it would also ice over relatively easy, probably easier than the old one.

I have a elbow on mine so it faces the ground, eliminating all ice, snow & rain issues. And I cut a regular piece of 1/8" screen to fit inside to keep flying things out.
I like that idea - is your elbow just PVC or?

I like that idea - is your elbow just PVC or?

I used 3" galvanized stove pipe for my OAK, and a regular 3" 90 elbow, hence the need to custom cut a screen to fit inside. But it wourks GREAT !

If we were to leave any opening uncovered in our area we will get just about every creapy crawly thing invading. Had a hole in the screen door that a darn tree frog got into and was jumping around the bedroom last week. No problem come November.

Mine is PVC. 2" street 90. No screen in it.

I thought code was non combustible material ? I went 3" with my length of run, and Harman's minimum is 2 3/8 with their flexible pipe size.

I used some metal "Gutter Guard". Bent it a lip and put some screws to hold it. Big enough to allow go flow, but small enough to keep out bigger animals. Bees and wasps can still get in, but I block the OAK and exhaust. So they need to find a home elsewhere. :)

image.jpg image.jpg

Reactions: pourlepayssauvage
Had a hole in the screen door that a darn tree frog got into and was jumping around the bedroom last week. No problem come November.

My wife would have flipped. I would have received a call at work to pick her up a the nearest hotel once the varmant was removed!!

Last winter I had and ice problem on the OAK louver screen and I broke the screen getting the ice off. Starting to think about heating season and replacing it and had a quick question. On the outside of the louver it says Maurice Franklin Louver Co so I searched the name and found this;
View attachment 111121
I'm thinking that this style (it is screened) may help with ice but my question is will it impede air flow? My sense is no, but wanted some opinions.
Here is the original broken one for comparison;
View attachment 111122
Thanks for any thoughts --

That screen in the first picture, allows less air flow than the bottom one. My bet based on personal use of such a screen is that it will likely cause burn issues, but you can try it and see for yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.