1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

OAK FIREWOOD TRUCKLOAD, Do Ya think they really are dry ?

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by HDRock, Nov 20, 2012.

1. HDRock

HDRock Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Grand Blanc, Mi

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    I bought a delivered cord of green oak last year for a hundred and thought it was a heck of a deal. Of course this stuff is green too, since the add says rounds, nonetheless, if you have the space and the dough BUY! Just plan on two years minimum to season after you split it.
  3. swagler85

swagler85 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NE Ohio
    It says "rounds" so I'm saying not dry. But still a decent price if you can wait on it to dry
    ScotO likes this.
  4. WhitePine

WhitePine Feeling the Heat

He is saying you would get just over one cord of wood. Forget the face cord nonsense. But they are rounds, not split, so it seems unlikely that you will have a full cord when split and stacked.

Since they are rounds, they would likely be wet.
  5. lukem

lukem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Indiana
    A load of rounds will usually take up less space than a load of splits....

Either way, I'm not paying that much for unsplit wood. Bucking it into rounds is the easy part...I'd rather get a log load for dirt cheap.
  6. gzecc

gzecc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NNJ
    basod and ScotO like this.
  7. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    I always forget how much cheaper firewood is in other parts of the country.
  8. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Oak can sit for many years in rounds and still be sopping wet inside. If you are expecting to use it soon, I say pass. If you got two years to wait on it to dry after you split it, go for it.....
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  9. midwestcoast

midwestcoast Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Indiana
    Yep, so basically you're buying a 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 cord of green Oak for $120. Whether it's a good deal depends on what the going rate is for a cord of splits.
    If normal rate is $150/cord then I would say not a great deal unless you just like splitting.
  10. etiger2007

etiger2007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Clio Michigan
    I saw that add and laughed when I read the "rounds" part. There was a guy in Clio on Craigslist delivering face cords of Oak for $45 split. With it being so close to the holidays I just cant pull the trigger on wood right now even though i really wanted to.
  11. corey21

corey21 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Soutwest VA
    No..
  12. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    Just perused the Flint craigslist, and there are way better deals on firewood. Cheaper around there than it is here.
  13. etiger2007

etiger2007 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Clio Michigan
    What are you seeing in your neck of the woods?
  14. Augie

Augie Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    North Of Canada
    Flint is Cheaper than Detroit, $65-$85 a face cord.
  15. bogydave

bogydave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    So Cent ALASKA
    +1

Might be "drier" but not dry enough to burn. Spit & stacked, before the wood can get serious about seasoning.
    2+ years (CSS) for oak in most locations.
    Good price if it's good wood, just plan on burning it in 2 years after you get it split & stacked ;)
  16. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Guest

I have called on that ad before and was told I could not look first and no meter test allowed. It comes and goes from Craigslist a lot. HDrock if you go down M21 towards Owosso there is a sign for 45 a face on ash. We bought some last year and it was actually dry. I am not saying it is this year but there is a chance anyway.

Pete
    Backwoods Savage likes this.
  17. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    Ann Arbor premium adds $10-20, I guess because everything is better there. I can buy wood in my immediate area, and to the south of me for about the same prices you are seeing, maybe a little more.

I really like this one. Get that old, dry junk out of there, make room for some fresh stuff http://flint.craigslist.org/for/3420067254.html
    weatherguy, swagler85 and Pallet Pete like this.
  18. XJma

XJma Member

Loc:
    MA
    FWIW, I have/had (about half a dozen still need splitting) two F250 loads of oak rounds in the 16-26" diameter range that I had stacked up on their sides for about two years. Looked cool that way. They were cracked in the middle, so I thought they might be somewhat dry.....well, they're not as wet as stuff that just came down but still not good enough to burn in an EPA stove. Not as strong of an odor as the fresh stuff. I'll let you know if it's any good next year....I hope so.

Why not just buy a real cord of wood. What is this 'face' cord BS??
  19. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    It's Michigan. A whole cord would rot before it all got burned in the fireplace.
  20. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I'll go against the grain and say that is a deal. Of course I would not care that it is not dry enough to burn as we have plenty of time for it to dry. Anyone else in that situation and buys their wood, I'd say get it.

The fly in the ointment is what Pallet Pete posted. If you can't check it out, then it is a big NO!
    etiger2007 likes this.
  21. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    I had some big oak rounds stacked for over a year before I got to split them, they tested at 28%, not too bad considering a freshly cut tree split would probably be close to 40%.