OAK for a Quadra Fire Castile.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MainePellethead

Minister of Fire
Dec 9, 2007
Southern Maine
Has anyone came up with an improvised version of an OAK for a Quad Castile? Or do you know of any online web site besides the manufacture to order their kit?

Thanks...

Didn't work for me. To many places for the air to be sucked from for the air to be pulled in from the designated hole. You would have to seal every hole around the burn pot including the clean out tray. Will be a hassle if their isn't a specific kit made for the stove.

The specific kit for the stove is not air tight either. If you are in a cold climate dont even bother. You would get the same effect by just drilling a 2" hole in the wall near the stove.

K, I'll order one. Thanks :)

hmm.... was that a joke?

Bad idea? There was lots on here a couple years ago that had installed one on theres and loved it..... so bad idea? Maybe to u

poooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooook said:
jtp10181 said:
hmm.... was that a joke?
bad joke but what do u expect for a bad idea?

2nd post was a joke.....first wasnt. There was lots of people on here last winter and year before that installed an oak on theirs and saw a great difference. I know some are fans some are not, I mean in a sense its a no brainer to not want to suck all the air out of the room to throw out the venting. ..... I was only asking if there was others besides the manufacturer(cheaper).... I can get one from the local dealer but $$.

jtp10181 said:
hmm.... was that a joke?

oh....lol....I apologize.

MainePellethead said:
Bad idea? There was lots on here a couple years ago that had installed one on theres and loved it..... so bad idea? Maybe to u

jtp10181 said:
hmm.... was that a joke?
bad joke but what do u expect for a bad idea?
putting a hole in the wall & not hooking up an OAK thru it is a bad idea

What I was suggesting is that the OAK leaks so bad you might as well just cut a 2" hole in the wall.

Install the OAK, the air will follow the path of least resistance.

My CB 1200 ash pan is sealed, the the Castille is not?

I dont have a 1/4" gap around my ash pan.....dont know if its sealed air tight but def. no gaps at all.

Mine was an 05. When I had my Quad, I traced the cutout in the back of the stove and took it to a machine/ stove shop and had them make a stub to fit a 2" flex pipe. I ran the pipe out a widow that was close to the stove and could never get it to draw any air. I gave up. You would have to seal every hole and gap and maybe it would work. It wasn't a total waste of time, because I did learn something. May be you can take it a step further.hths

slls said:
My CB 1200 ash pan is sealed, the the Castille is not?

My Castile's ashpan is definitely NOT sealed. There's a gap above it's front lip and it rides on two Vee runners that have no seal below them.

Status
Not open for further replies.