OAK for existing chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RKBAGUY

Feeling the Heat
Sep 29, 2013
Milford, PA
Having already installed an AF Integra into my existing masonry fireplace using 3" Duravent, I would now like to add an OAK and have a couple questions.

Right now, I have a ~12' run of straight pipe to a metal chimney cap, but I also have a cement top cap (a slab of roughly 18" x 24") raised on bricks. I was planning on just cutting a corner off of the metal plate and running some tubing down for the OAK, looping it up, over and down the side of the chimney so exhaust isn't reintroduced - think 'snorkel' of sorts. That would make the run about 15' overall.

Can you guys comment on whether or not this is a workable plan? Is stainless necessary for this modification, or if I can use something affordable, since there's no heat coming in contact with the tubing?

Thanks in advance!

The tubing must be fire proof, as back-drafts can happen in power outages.
the snorkel concept is probably fine.

The tubing must be fire proof, as back-drafts can happen in power outages.
the snorkel concept is probably fine.
Fair enough. I see from the technical manual that the fresh air intake is 2", so where would one find that diameter aluminum flexible duct? Would one of the big box stores carry that? Or, if I use 3" aluminum duct, is there such a thing as a 2"-to-3" adapter?

Fair enough. I see from the technical manual that the fresh air intake is 2", so where would one find that diameter aluminum flexible duct? Would one of the big box stores carry that? Or, if I use 3" aluminum duct, is there such a thing as a 2"-to-3" adapter?
You might want 3" for that length of run anyways. As for an adapter, you can go to an automotive store or exhaust shop and pick up an adapter that will work.

Reactions: Love the Heat
As for an adapter, you can go to an automotive store or exhaust shop and pick up an adapter that will work.
Bingo. That's the kind of input I needed. Didn't even think of that. Thanks!

you can use this as well for a cap

Attachments

• PVP_PrairieCap and Increaser_W.pdf
    197.2 KB · Views: 218
I used 2" flexible automotive exhaust pipe for my OAK but a length that long would be really expensive. It sounds like you can't use straight rigid pipe as the concrete cap is in the way. If you can't find an adapter locally form a plumbing supply place you could try McMaster-Carr. They have everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.