Oak Heaven

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rkofler

Burning Hunk
Nov 15, 2011
Long Island
It really is oak heaven in my neighborhood. It is fascinating how many monster oaks came down in Sandy, quite sad. On the positive side...

Attachments

• IMG_1184.JPG
    IMG_1184.JPG
    136.6 KB · Views: 219
thats some good work ahead of the fiskars

I hate to see these big old trees come down, especially considering all the different weather events they have endured over many many years. But it is definitely a benefit to us woodburners. Nice horde of wood!

Hope allot the wood ends up used & not in the land fill.
Good to see you getting lots of it.
Keep it coming. :)

Unfortunately, the town is taking plenty of it away. I'm doing my best! I do understand that they need to clean the streets, but it is a shame that plenty of it will not get burned.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Maybe u can find where it's being dumped and cut there.

Hey guys, just getting service back myself after Sandy and I'm in the same boat rk. Have had probably 3+ cords of free oak dropped already. I turned down the last load because it could get overwhelming since I split entirely by hand.

I agree, shame about all the trees. Wish I could lay my hands on some ash though, the red oak oak I have (mostly in 18-22" rounds) is sopping wet since the trees still had green leaves when they came down. Could be 3 years before it's ready to burn.

Anyway with hardly any effort I'll bet I end up with 5 cords when all is said and done. I have 2 trees of my own that will have to be bucked up (1 locust 1 maple). The supply of wood on the north shore of LI from this storm is almost unlimited, could have all you want.

jatoxico, fear not. Even ash will burn better after 3 years in the stack.

jatoxico, fear not. Even ash will burn better after 3 years in the stack.

I'm sure you're right. My property is not the best for wood drying though, lots of trees overhead so it's fairly shady. I got the better part of a nice sized ash from hurricane Irene that I'll be using next year but looks like it would burn great now! The oak I've gotten the last few years dries slooowww. I'm splitting the new stuff pretty small hoping it will be ready when I need it.

Well get all that you can . you're right most of it will go into the landfill.

Maybe u can find where it's being dumped and cut there.
The dump by me they won't allow that. I already tried. They will let me take anything I can by hand but thats a nightmare.
Here is the dump before Sandy. I can only imagine it now!
photo1jkf.jpg

I took a drive through the National Forest close to where I live, and the number of oak trees down is amazing. Some of them are huge, and hung-up, so I'll leave them for someone more skilled than me. Many are close to the road, and some have been cut into sections already by the forestry service to clear the road. I've already gotten 5 loads, and I could easily get 10 more, and that's not counting the trees on my own property that came down. It is sad to see those large trees come down, but now that they have I want to get some use out of them!

I'm sure you're right. My property is not the best for wood drying though, lots of trees overhead so it's fairly shady. I got the better part of a nice sized ash from hurricane Irene that I'll be using next year but looks like it would burn great now! The oak I've gotten the last few years dries slooowww. I'm splitting the new stuff pretty small hoping it will be ready when I need it.

Ah ha. Once again, fear not. Wind is much more important for drying wood than sunshine. Sun is nice for sure but wind is your best friend. We've stacked many times in the shade with no problems drying the wood.

Ah ha. Once again, fear not. Wind is much more important for drying wood than sunshine. Sun is nice for sure but wind is your best friend. We've stacked many times in the shade with no problems drying the wood.

I think I read a similar comment from you BW in a different thread after I posted. Besides the shade I also tend to tuck my stacks away along the fence line and so forth to keep them hidden a bit, not the greatest air flow. Maybe I'll do one of those round stacks out in the open to get more air. They look good, just have to watch out for the sprinklers! Thanks for the info.

Tons of big Red Oak down in Westchester too. I also scored almost three cords of Black Locust that was loaded on my truck for me.

Tons of big Red Oak down in Westchester too. I also scored almost three cords of Black Locust that was loaded on my truck for me.

Yeah we took a beating in the northeast. Was pretty scary looking out the windows and watching trees and telephone poles falling left and right. Going out this weekend to pick up some more of the choicer rounds in the neighborhood. In 2-3 yrs we'll all have prime wood to spare.

Status
Not open for further replies.