OAK Help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jojo6714

Jul 30, 2009
Maine
I recently installed a englanders super 240 in my basement. The only thing I have left is the outside air hook up. The stove is used, and did not come with the OAK. I have a run of about 8 feet to drill a hole in the wall for the kit. I was told the OAK has a 6 foot flex pipe. Can I use PVC pipe, or something else?

jsph said:
I recently installed a englanders super 240 in my basement. The only thing I have left is the outside air hook up. The stove is used, and did not come with the OAK. I have a run of about 8 feet to drill a hole in the wall for the kit. I was told the OAK has a 6 foot flex pipe. Can I use PVC pipe, or something else?
Home Depot has 3" flexible aluminum .

The guy I got the stove from had sealed the OAK in the wall. I was able to get the plat and screen from the outside. I will go to HD tonight and see if I can find it.

stoveguy2esw said:
GIO is correct , for an 8 ft length a 3 inch pipe is required per the manual, and it does need to be a metallic pipe.

I've been following these OAK threads because I'm also considering it. One thing that keeps coming up is the need for metallic pipe for the air INTAKE for the combustion blower. Why do you need metal pipe to pass 20 degree air to the intake of the blower??? My Quad literature makes almost no mention of the OAK and has no formula for upsizing the piping based on length of bends like the output pipe.

tjnamtiw said:
I've been following these OAK threads because I'm also considering it. One thing that keeps coming up is the need for metallic pipe for the air INTAKE for the combustion blower. Why do you need metal pipe to pass 20 degree air to the intake of the blower??? My Quad literature makes almost no mention of the OAK and has no formula for upsizing the piping based on length of bends like the output pipe.

I have seen 2" OAK out there. If the stove has 3" inlet then go 3" or larger. The metalic part I think is code. I have been using Flexable Aluminum Dryer duct. Cheap and easy. HD has 3 and 4 inch in stock.

I have also seen some PVC being used for long runs. And connected to stove with flexable metalic tube. Approx 3' from stove transitions to PVC. But I'm not sure I like that!

jay

Ok, I have a 3 inch X 25 ft metal dryer vent tube. Now, I am not going to cut a 3 inch hole in the wall, so what I plan to do is get a lenght of PVC pipe that the screen fits into and drill a hole that big, then clamp the dryer tube down on that from inside the house. I will use the metal flap that came with the setup when I bought it. I will take pictures as I do it. I hope to have this done tomorrow. Next will be to replace the auto igniter, which I ordered today from Englanderstove.com.

I used some PVC with screening connected to Carburetor Pre-Heater hose for my OAK. Cheaper than OAK and the black pre-heater hose matched better.

The best part was explaining to the young kid at Lowes what Carburetor Pre-Heater hose did on older cars. :) I still don't think he understood.

dac122 said:
I used some PVC with screening connected to Carburetor Pre-Heater hose for my OAK. Cheaper than OAK and the black pre-heater hose matched better.......

Yep, that's what I use on my Astoria....works perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.