Oak....Here we go again

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
Sometime next week I will be receiving a little more than a cord of oak. Normally this would cost about $220 iny area. Here is the catch....It is coming a unsplit rounds. Average size is 16-20" in length and 12-20" round. My cost will be $130. My supplier tells me it has been sitting like this for 18 months because he just has not had the time to split& nobody wanted to do it themselves. Good deal or should I pass? This will be the start of my 12/13 wood stock. Thanks as always guys.

NordicSplitter said:
Sometime next week I will be receiving a little more than a cord of oak. Normally this would cost about $220 iny area. Here is the catch....It is coming a unsplit rounds. Average size is 16-20" in length and 12-20" round. My cost will be $130. My supplier tells me it has been sitting like this for 18 months because he just has not had the time to split& nobody wanted to do it themselves. Good deal or should I pass? This will be the start of my 12/13 wood stock. Thanks as always guys.

Sounds like a good deal for your area as long as you don't mind splitting it.

I'd grab it & 2-3 more if its still available.

I don't know oak, so evaluate this answer with this in mind. Just as a general practice, if you have any doubts about the quality of the wood, swing by and look at the stack, maybe whack up a few pieces that look like they're going punky and see how they're doing. If they look fine and you're up to splitting, then you've answered your own question.

And as Thistle said, if you can get more, and want to go for it, then you might be up into the cost-effective range for renting a splitter and getting the whole stack done in a day. Might just get your whole season's wood knocked out at once.

Your looking at $90.00 discount take it, and more

That sounds like a great deal to me! Just do not count those 18 months as drying time because in the round they will have dried very, very little except for on the very ends of the rounds. I say buy it, split it and then wait 2 more winters before burning it.

I'd be all over it. It's money in the bank once it's split.

It's a good deal. Those rounds will split OK if you have a few wedges.
A lot of Oak is very straight grained, and all the more easy to split.
Seasoning time starts at zero hours only after you have it in smaller splits.

NordicSplitter said:

I'm not sure on the deal but from everything I have read the oak will not be ready for 12/13 heating season.

zap

I have hand split tons of oak, and most of it is pretty easy. You'll get a few tough pieces just as you would with any species of tree. The 2012/13 heating season starts about 16 or 17 months from now, so that really doesn't leave a whole lot of time to completely season oak. It will be OK for 2012/12 but really good for 2013/14.

Status
Not open for further replies.