Oak ID and One

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gregp553

Nov 15, 2009
SE Michigan
Two of these are definitely oak. One has a gray color to the bark (angle shot). It's also lighter by weight. The other is much heavier and the bark is darker (vertical shot). Neither is seasoned. Which is red and which is white? Or something else? The third piece is the bonus guess.

Attachments

• P1040601.jpg
    P1040601.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 385
  • P1040602.jpg
    P1040602.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 394
  • P1040604.jpg
    P1040604.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 385
3rd pic cherry

I say left to right. Cherry, Oak, Birch.

The third one looks like silver birch to me.

Tony H said:
The third one looks like silver birch to me.

Me too, but it could be young Cherry. Hard to tell.

I think Lee has it nailed. White Oak, Red Oak, Cherry.

The 2nd shot could be something else, I can see why some might say "Locust" because of the bark.

The 3rd could be Mimosa, but probably is Cherry. Or some kind of Birch. That bark, edge on, is sure reddish like Cherry. But it looks to me that the piece on the left with the red bark has a different type bark than the featured center piece in the shot. I dunno, that center piece is reminding me a lot of Mimosa. Cherry has different color/width horizontal marks.

Heck, that 1st could even be something else, but that bark is just screaming White Oak to me.

left: possibly old cherry
center: posssibly oak
right: young cherry

left and right would smell the same.

Good work. Left is oak (for sure), and I'll go with white oak. Middle is also oak (for sure), much stronger smell than the oak on the left. Maybe that points to red. The right shot I'm told is some kind of junk cherry, soft wood growing near a river. In the cherry shot, the piece of wood next to the cherry is also oak, sorry, didn't mean to confuse.

Third one is mountain ash.

The first picture shows two splits. The longer one looks like Black Cherry, the shorter one looks like White Oak. The middle picture seems to be some kind of oak, probably in the red oak group. The third picture seems like it could be many things, perhaps Fire or Bird Cherry, or maybe an ornamental cherry. Could also be birch or mountain ash, I can't tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.