OAK idea - install in existing masonry chimney?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neversummer

Oct 24, 2010
Central CT
I know, I know, discussed ad nauseum but I have a legitimate idea I think.

I will soon be getting my Woodstock fireview which I plan to install in my ranch style house. The stove will sit on my existing masonry fireplace hearth and I plan to install forever flex liner the length of the masonry chimney and to insulate it with that wrap to ensure good performance. I'm an engineer and a bigtime believer in DIRTFT - do it right the first time so naturally I am not content finishing the installation and seeing how things go before making a move on the OAK. Unfortunately though, since the dove will be placed in front of my existing masonry fireplace, I would have to drill through the bricks for the OAK or to the side of the chimney through the wall. Naturally, both options were vetoed by my wife. So I was thinking about running the "intake" pipe up the existing masonry chimney to the side of the exhaust liner (which would be insulated). Has anyone done this? I had planned on terminating the intake pipe a foot or so below where te exhaust cap will be placed to hopefully prevent circulating the exhaust gasses back in again.

Best part is, I estimate I only need ten to 15 feet of flex since the stove will be on the first floor of a one level ranch with a hip-style low pitch roof. If I buy a kit of 25 feet of flex and insulation, I can run them both insulated side by side down the existing chimney, all I would need is a 6" to 4" conversion section at the stove itself.

In theory, this should work. Anyone attempt something similar?

Thanks

Joe

It will work but having the OAK run up will cause the cold air to drive down harder into the stove which can cause shorter burns and cool the stove sooner. You need to figure a way for the stove to draw the air it needs instead of it being forced in.

I have a basement install and ran my OAK through a side wall and up the concrete block then out the sill plate. I had a hard time controling the rush of cold air and ended up downsizing from 4" to 3" and installed a goose neck on the outside to help slow down the cold air. So far it has worked.

Why do you think you need the OAK at all? Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.