oak in NM!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tpikaart

Oct 30, 2009
NorthWest NM
Got an oak (scrub oak!) permit this morning and found it easy to fill up the truck w/ standing dead stuff. Looking forward to burning it this winter and seeing how it compares to the usual pinyon and juniper.

Attachments

• oak1.jpg
    oak1.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 304
Nice Truck!

That's a firewood hauling rig, there! Thanks for the pic.
How does this permit work - you can cut on public land?

"you can cut on public land?"

Yes--it's a National Forest permit. $20 for 5 cords of pinion or juniper, or $20 for 1 cord of oak.
The oak permit only lasts 14 days, though I'm assuming I can get another.

Wow, you are lucky to have this. Which Nat'l Forest are you cutting in? I used to be able to find scrub oak up on Rowe Mesa but last time I was up there it was picked clean.

Great. Enjoy the oak. I found scrub oak to be a little higher density than pinon, but not much. It burned a little longer but not as hot. I'm happy burning either one.

The neat thing I remember about gathering the scrub oak was, the roots would rot well before the trunk. So all I had to do was rock the trunk back and forth a few times and it would shear off clean at ground level. Didn't even need to use a chainsaw!

Status
Not open for further replies.