Oak install on a PE summit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NCredneck

Aug 29, 2011
RDU area NC
I have an ash cleanout in the back center of my fireplace that I am getting ready to put a PE summit insert in tomorrow. The manual states to remove ash cleanout cover, place a rodent screen over the opening. The PE summit has a 9" x 2" outside air intake on the back center of the stove so I think it will fit pretty good without any kind of ducting. The manual says seal around the surround to ensure outside air is used for combustion.
My questions are
1. should I do this instead of using room air for combustion especially since I have the ash cleanout already there?
2 I am not sure if it all will match up perfectly so if its not enclosed from ash cleanout to 2x9 opening is that a problem?

I have enough roxul to maybe pack around the back but wonder if that could get sucked in? suggestions?

I will take any recommendations with a grain of salt. I will not hold ya to it..what ya say? Self bump

NCredneck said:
I have an ash cleanout in the back center of my fireplace that I am getting ready to put a PE summit insert in tomorrow. The manual states to remove ash cleanout cover, place a rodent screen over the opening. The PE summit has a 9" x 2" outside air intake on the back center of the stove so I think it will fit pretty good without any kind of ducting. The manual says seal around the surround to ensure outside air is used for combustion.
My questions are
1. should I do this instead of using room air for combustion especially since I have the ash cleanout already there?
2 I am not sure if it all will match up perfectly so if its not enclosed from ash cleanout to 2x9 opening is that a problem?

I have enough roxul to maybe pack around the back but wonder if that could get sucked in? suggestions?

How old is your house? Is it insulated well? If the house is tight , I would try getting the oak to fit.... If not I would use inside air.. unless you have to have an oak.. you might be able fabricate something to fit on it to make it work

House was built in 94. Pretty good insulation and tight. Manual just says seal the surround but I dont know....I like more than minimum I guess....
You have a summit ...what did you do?

Status
Not open for further replies.