OAK installation question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neverman2

Jan 8, 2009
upstate ny
First of all what a pleasure it is to find this website! I've been reading for a bit before posting and the knowledgebase of the contributors here is impressive. Since you also seem quite generous with your advice I turn to you as I'm planning the install of my first pellet stove, a brandy new Harman. I need to use an outside air kit because of the placement of the windows along the wall. My buddy up north has his vent pipe go up along the wall a few feet and then turn and go out. He says he gets the heat from the pipe that way before it exits the house. It makes sense to me, but if possible I also would like to use the one-hole-for-both piece I saw at the stove store with connections for the both the vent pipe and the hose for intake air. I've only ever seen that piece used for straight horizontal pipe venting. But can it also be used for an up-a-few-feet-then-out vent pipe setup? Maybe there are other considerations I'm overlooking?

some vertical run is preferred to help with smoke issues in case of power outage.
could it be possible to go straight out then up?
then you could still use the thimble.

Selkirk metalbestos makes a direct vent kit like you describe direct temp / pellet can be used for through the wall or straight vertical applications , the exhaust travels through a stainless steel inner pipe and the intake air is pulled through the gap between the inner and outer walls , very similar to direct vent gas applications. here's a link http://www.selkirkcorp.com/products/venting.aspx hope this helps ya

Status
Not open for further replies.